Thayer Academy is in the process of designing and building a Middle School Maker Space to open in September 2017. The Coordinator of the Maker Space Center manages, develops and delivers innovative maker programming within the Maker Space in support of the Academy's Mission. The coordinator is a pioneering and imaginative teacher who will collaborate directly with faculty and students to apply design thinking principles across the middle school curriculum. Reports to the Middle School Director.
- Collaborates with faculty in integrating Design Thinking, Video, Making, Coding, and Robotics into existing curriculum through workshops, seminars, one-on-one sessions, co–teaching and student projects in the Maker Space.
- Instructs faculty and students on programming and production topics such as video, photo, 3D modeling, laser and vinyl cutters, electronics, and word working.
- Mentors middle school students in designing and implementing their experiential maker projects.
- Creates and manages making projects and timelines for the Maker Space including, calendar of events, program activities, professional development and annual Maker Space Fair.
- Teaches the Maker Space Elective Curriculum.
- Researches, recommends, manages and implements the necessary equipment, furnishings and software as related to the Maker Space.
- Conveys the Maker Space projects thru an online presence and conference presentations.
- Develops policies and procedures for safe use of tools and materials in the Library Maker Space.
- Identifies and reports outcomes in Maker Space program and makes improvements to enhance growth & integration.
- Collaborates with Thayer’s technology committee members, other global individuals and organizations participating in the Maker movement.
- Perform other duties as assigned by MS Director
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering Technology and/or education
Thayer Academy is an independent, college-preparatory day school for boys and girls in grades 6 - 12. It was founded in 1877 by the bequest of General Sylvanus Thayer, “Father of the U.S. Military Academy” at West Point and founder of the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College.
Thayer Academy is located in residential Braintree, Massachusetts, 13 miles south of Boston on a 34-acre ca...mpus comprised of 9 buildings and 57 classrooms.
Thayer's enrollment for the 2013-2014 academic year is 688 (211 Middle School, 477 Upper School), with students coming from 57 surrounding towns and cities. There are 108 faculty members, 70% of whom have graduate degrees.