Germantown Academy, located in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, is seeking qualified, experienced candidates for the position of General Maintenance, beginning November, 2017. This is a 12-month position which offers an excellent array of benefits and a highly competitive salary. The Academy, founded in 1759, is a non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory school of more than 1,100 students in Grades PK-12, located in the northwest suburbs of Philadelphia on a campus of 126 acres. At Germantown Academy, we are committed to creating a learning environment that is as diverse as the broader, global world of which we are a part. We value this diversity because it makes us a stronger community, enriches our thinking, and helps us to develop our collaborative spirit. Qualified applicants will meet the following criteria:
Position Purpose: Reporting to the Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds, the General Maintenance worker will support the overall well-being and upkeep of the facility to ensure a safe environment for students, faculty, staff and all members of the community.
· Responsible to perform maintenance and repair duties which assures the preservation and upkeep of the School, its buildings and fixtures. Provide physical services for all repairs and renovation programs not performed by others.
· Respond to requests made through SchoolDude, by school administration and supervisor.
· Observe all safety regulations and policies.
· Perform routine checks on all school vehicles and recommend repairs as required.
· In cases of emergencies, inclement weather or disaster, the General Maintenance worker will be required to report to work and work over time on weekends, holidays and snow days.
· Maintain and provide inventory/order to supervisor for all related materials.
· Supports department in all aspects of general maintenance as required for furniture set ups/breakdowns for School events, snow removal and snow maintenance; parking assistance and correction of emergency conditions such as sewer back-ups or water flooding of classrooms/other areas.
· Provide written lists of noted deficiencies within the building to the Supervisor. Such lists should outline specific conditions or situations, exact locations, and recommendations for corrective action.
· Daily performance of duties shall be carried out with respect for faculty, staff and the School community, its building and grounds.
· Required to perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Physical Characteristics:
· Ability to easily lift 40 pounds throughout the course of an eight - ten hour day.
· Ability to walk, bend, stand, do manual labor throughout an eight – ten hour day.
· Physical ability to complete grounds, fields and general maintenance projects.
· Ability and agility to operate all maintenance equipment (i.e.: snow / leaf blower, hi-lift and ladders).
· Visual acuity of at least 20/40 (with corrective lenses if needed) sufficient to maintain accurate records, read instructions and complete inventory and forms.
· Ability to speak and understand English sufficiently to give directions and communicate with supervisor, vendors and contractors.
· Ability to read and write English legibly and accurately and to utilize necessary computer maintenance programs.
· Must be at least 18 years of age.
· Must have 5 years prior general maintenance experience in a school or similar environment.
· Must Have High School Diploma.
· Must have valid driver’s license & clean driving record.
· Must maintain a positive, can-do approach to the work at hand.
· Must meet required standards of performance with minimum supervision.
· Must be able to communicate comfortably with the full range of school staff, faculty, administration and students.
· Needs to anticipate problems and undertake solutions without prompting.
· Need to provide continuous attention to quality, detail and final results.