Saint Mary’s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 9–12. The School is the fourth oldest girls’ boarding and day school in the country. The School is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus which is within walking distance to many restaurants and attractions of downtown Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham, NC is ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by US News & World Report.
Saint Mary’s School is currently searching for a Controller to work on our beautiful historic campus. This exceptional location is in the heart of downtown Raleigh in a gated campus with 24/7 security. The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer, and is responsible for production of timely, accurate financial reporting, developing and implementing accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP, insuring that strong internal controls and effective transaction processing routines protect the assets of the school and providing financial data, information, and statistics as needed to support the financial decisions and operations of the school. The Controller helps prepare and monitor the budget and works to keep expenses appropriately charged consistent with budgeting. The Controller effectively controls the flow of cash through the organization and maintains the integrity of funds, securities and other valuable documents in accordance with cash management policies and accounting procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Chief Financial Officer.
Accounting, Transactions and Benchmarking
· Ensure the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll recording, fixed asset records, general ledger, in accordance with best practices for GAAP reporting in an independent school
· Responsible for monthly reconciliations, closing processes, transaction review and verification, general ledger accuracy
Asset, Liabilities, Revenues and Expense Tracking and Controls
· Analyze, oversee, manage budgeting processes and report on expense budget components such as wage and salaries, fringe benefit programs, departmental expenses, operational expenses and capital projects
· Analyze, oversee manage budgeting processes and report on tuition revenues, financial aid, donor gifts, auxiliary revenues, and other sources of income
· Ensure tracking, analysis, oversight and management of all sources of income and outflow for the school
· Proactively manage and safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing accounting policies, internal controls and procedure checks across all departments and aspects of the accounting process
· Proactively manage liabilities and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing accounting policies, internal controls and procedure checks
· Interface with outside audit firms(s), banks and lessors, casualty/liability insurance agent(s), credit card companies, and collection agencies
· Prepare and reconcile bond debt payments; track and manage liabilities proactively
· Monitor daily cash needs of the School and initiate fund transfers as needed
· Calculate and prepare transfers of funds to and from the school’s bank accounts and investment accounts
· Reconcile all cash accounts monthly and ensure inter-fund transfers of cash are accurately recorded and reported
· Reconcile the monthly reports of the endowment investment managers with the school’s general ledger accounting records
· Prepare and post to the general ledger endowment entries along with all associated spreadsheets
· Establish procedures, accounting processes, and reporting disciplines to reconcile all general ledger gift records with the Development Office and ensure consistency and timeliness in reporting of incoming pledges and new gifts
· Quarterly transfer endowed gifts received to the Investment Manager
· Manage restricted GL accounts by reviewing transactions in those accounts, which include revenue, expenditure and journal transactions
· Ensure compliance with endowment letter of intent by donor
· Create annual endowment spend in accordance with the letter of intent by donor
· Prepare annual stewardship reports for endowed accounts as requested by the Development Department
· Prepare quarterly endowment spend transfer
· Maintain the chart of accounts
· Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget and highlight for management team members any issues with their budgets or spend rates
· Monitor transactions to the School’s general ledger and budget to ensure accuracy and correct accounting, and post corrections as needed
· Create internal monthly financial reporting that assists School personnel in adhering to budget constraints
· Develop, produce, improve, manage and oversee monthly production of financial reporting package in accordance with operational needs, financial reporting requirements, and GAAP
· Provide accurate information, financial reporting, benchmarks to ensure financial plans and decisions are consistent with organizational goals and financial status
· Provide financial analysis tools to evaluate special projects, programs, capital expenditures, products costing, in collaboration with Chief Financial Officer
· Provide financial analyses as needed
· Manage financial audit which includes coordination with independent auditors and School personnel regarding timing and completion of responsibilities
· Maintain knowledge of accounting issues that impact the audit and ensure the school is properly prepared and business department head sufficiently briefed on issues
· Prepare audit working papers including pledge, investment and fixed asset roll forwards, net assets
· Maintain thorough understanding of the financial statements issued by independent auditor
· Ensure general ledger of school accurately reflects audit adjustments
· Identify & post accordingly fixed asset purchases
· Maintain fixed asset subsidiary ledger and depreciation schedules
· Record sales and dispositions of fixed assets
· Responsible for timely filing of the annual IRS Form 990 School Tax Return, 990T & NC CD-405 (both taxable income returns)
· NC State Sales & Use Tax - file semi-annually for the refund of
· Resolve any reporting issues with the IRS and other Federal and State regulatory agencies
· Prepare surveys, compliance reports and internal and external information requests for financial data
· Cross-train on payroll and student billing
· Perform weekend and night responsibilities to support the life of the residential community and the academic program as required by your position or requested by your manager/supervisor
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee in this position. Employees are required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by those authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Saint Mary’s School is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive compensation and excellent benefit package. We cannot respond to every applicant regarding the status of his or her application. Only those whose qualifications most closely meet our requirements will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s School is a drug-free workplace. A background check satisfactory to the school is required.
Knowledge of finance, accounting and budgeting principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
Strong and demonstrated skills in non-profit accounting and financial administration.
Strong and demonstrated skills in non-profit accounting and financial administration.
A high degree of computer literacy and strong skills in spreadsheet-based financial analysis.
Ability to analyze and organize financial data and ability to make accurate computations.
Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
Strong verbal and written communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
Physical Activities / Environmental Demands: This position works in a standard office environment. Majority of time is spent at a desk on a telephone and/or in front of a computer screen. There are no physical or environmental demands which might normally be considered unusual or stressful.
Education, Training, and Experience: Four-year degree in accounting or business from an accredited college or university and at least five years’ experience in accounting, financial analysis, and budget administration with heavy transactional experience is required or any appropriate combination of education and experience. CPA and non- profit fund accounting experience are desirable, but not required. School experience is preferred but not required.
Located in Raleigh, N.C., Saint Mary’s School is a college-preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 9-12 and is located on a beautiful 23-acre campus. Saint Mary’s School is affiliated with the Episcopal Church and accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.