St. George’s Independent School, a coeducational school with three campuses located in the suburbs and city of Memphis, TN, offers an educational model not replicated anywhere else in the United States. Through this distinctive three-campus model and a strategic plan committed to transformative diversity, the school offers financial assistance from prekindergarten (age three) through twelfth grade... to students who might not otherwise have logistical or financial access to an independent-school setting.
A St. George’s education unites active learning with agile teaching to build disciplined minds, adventurous spirits, and brave hearts. Benefiting from a curriculum that weaves together traditional content with innovative educational techniques, St. George’s graduates are better prepared for a complex and global future because of the real-world learning experiences they have today.
Founded in 1959 by parishioners of St. George’s Episcopal Church as a small, coeducational day school in the then rural suburb of Germantown, the original lower school campus developed a reputation for academic excellence and exemplary character education. With strong parent support and interest, the school leadership began a capital campaign in the late 1990s to expand to grades 6-12 by building on land in the rapidly growing suburb of Collierville. Early in the fundraising process, a group of donors encouraged the school to reach into inner city Memphis. These friends of the school, and other supporters, made possible the 2001 opening of our Memphis campus, a PK-5th grade lower school campus mirroring the curriculum of our original Germantown campus and offering substantial scholarship assistance.
Bound together by an Episcopal tradition that sees all people as children of God, students and families from our Memphis and Germantown campuses build relationships through cross-campus learning and activities, then unite in middle school at our Collierville campus. Our educational model saw fulfillment in May 2016 when the first cohort of students who started in prekindergarten at the Memphis campus received their diplomas.