The Hockaday School is an independent, college preparatory day and boarding school for girls of strong potential and diverse backgrounds who may be expected to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in a rapidly changing world. With an enrollment of more than 1,000 students, The Hockaday School is the nation’s largest pre-kindergarten through grade 12 independent girls’ school. Ranked among the country’s finest college preparatory schools, it was founded over a century ago and continues today to build on its original Four Cornerstones: Character, Courtesy, Scholarship, and Athletics.
The Hockaday School is seeking a database administrator with extensive Blackbaud experience who will be responsible for the performance, integrity and security of all internal Hockaday databases. She/he will also be involved as a project manager in the planning, creation and development of databases as needed, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. The database administrator will ensure that:
• data is clearly defined;
• data is standardized and consistent across the databases;
• users access data concurrently, in a form that suits their needs; and
• there is provision for data security and recovery control (all data is retrievable in an emergency).
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Some work may simply be maintenance while other tasks will involve database migration and development. Tasks may involve some or all of the following:
• Understanding the needs of users and working collaboratively to establish consistent procedures and data standards;
• Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast responses to users;
• Assessing the integrity of the existing databases;
• Leading any database migrations between platforms or versions;
• Collaboratively working with the IT team to ensure the security, safety and consistency of all databases;
• Installing new and updating existing Hockaday databases;
• Leading ad hoc teams and projects as needed;
• Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions;
• Controlling access permissions and privileges;
• Developing, managing and testing backup and recovery plans;
• Ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly;
• Capacity planning;
• Working closely with all departments and divisions;
• Communicating regularly with the Director of Technology & Information Resources, the Technology Staff, and contract workers to ensure database integrity and security;
• Advising the Technology Director in regards to installing new applications and customizing existing applications as needed.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Technology
• Assisting the CFO and Director of Finance & Human Resources with special projects, as required
• Experience as a Database Administrator for over 5 years, Blackbaud experience preferred
• Extensive experience with database creation, optimization, migration, and disaster recovery
• Substantial project and team management experience
• Ability to create and deploy custom, web-enabled databases
• Strong background with SQL
• Experience with Senior Systems or other Student Information Systems
• Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication, teamwork and collaboration skills;
• Problem-solving and good analytical skills;
• Expertise in multiple database types and principles of database design;
• Flexibility and adaptability;
• Good organizational skills;
• Ability to adhere to tight deadlines under pressure;
• Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with faculty and staff;
• A willingness to keep up-to-date with developments in new technology;
• A commitment to continuing professional development;
The Hockaday School is an independent, college preparatory day and boarding school for girls of strong potential
and diverse backgrounds who may be expected to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in a rapidly
changing world. With an enrollment of more than 1,000 students, The Hockaday School is the nation’s largest prekindergarten through grade 12 independent girls’ school. Ranked ...among the country’s finest college preparatory
schools, it was founded over a century ago and continues today to build on its original four cornerstones: Scholarship,Character, Courtesy, and Athletics.
Mission Statement: Believing in the limitless potential of girls, Hockaday develops resilient, confident women who are educated and inspired to lead lives of purpose and impact.