Palm Beach Day Academy seeks an experienced educator with a passion for working with lower school students, faculty and parents, and a drive to take the School to its next great iteration. A vital member of the School’s Senior Administrative Team, the Head of Lower School is responsible for supporting, inspiring and hiring a faculty of approximately 36. Reporting to the Head of School, the Head of Lower School will be responsible for the day-to-day management and direction of the Lower School and craft a vision for an elementary school that is both traditional and innovative informed by the School’s strategic directions. The new Head will take over a school in very good shape with a strong reputation, but will need to figure out, working with a team of dedicated faculty how to take the school to the next level. Some of the important qualities are:
* Be a tireless leader of teachers and an advocate for their growth
* Be devoted to maximizing the student experience in the Lower School
* Be experienced at building and sustaining the School-Parent Partnership
* Have a deep and thorough knowledge of best practices and pedagogies of the Preprimary-Grade 3 learner
* Have a fundamental appreciation of the Preprimary-Grade 9 environment
* Represent the Lower School while working toward the overall best interests of Palm Beach Day Academy
* Be collaborative and a consensus builder while fully embracing the decision-making responsibility of the Lower School Head
* Be innovative in problem solving and in program development
* Have a sense of humor
* Have a deep understanding of diversity
Communication, organization and analytic skills as well as a relational approach are highly desired traits for this position. Working closely with the other Division Head and the Head of School is essential.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Significant administrative experience in an academic environment is essential; independent school experience is preferred. Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience.
Palm Beach Day Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer that maintains a policy of nondiscrimination with respect to all applicants for employment. The ideal candidate should possess a thoughtful approach to intercultural communication and inclusion of underrepresented groups. As Florida’s first independent school, Palm Beach Day Academy has grown from a cottage colony school started in 1921 into an innovative, top-ranked day school serving approximately 450 students from the greater Palm Beach area. The educational program, for age two through ninth grade, is dedicated to providing students with a learning experience that challenges to excel, empowers to act and prepares to lead. Striving always for the highest academic excellence, Palm Beach Day Academy is located on two campuses 1.3 miles apart in Palm Beach and West Palm Beach.
The search to fill this position will begin immediately. Employment begins in July 2018 in preparation for the 2018-19 school year.