Flintridge Prep is searching for a dynamic, warm head librarian for the 2018-19 academic year.
Flintridge Prep's Chandramohan Library is considered to be, both literally and figuratively, the center of campus. While we are a place for research and reading, we are so much more. We are an art gallery for student work, a center for group study space as well as quiet reading nooks, an informal “rehearsal space” for class presentations, a place where students and teachers feel welcome and enjoy chatting with one another and with the librarians. We are a community center as well as an intellectual space. Yes, we have a strong print collection, well-used databases, and a large number of teachers using our library labs. However, what the school values most about the library is the way we embrace Flintridge Prep's mission statement and have created an environment conducive to curiosity, learning and inquiry. We create a warm, welcoming atmosphere, and sometimes we become a soft place to land when all a student needs is a sympathetic ear.
Our ideal candidate will:
• Enjoy working with young people
• Have a sense of humor, play and joy in daily interactions with students and adults
• Find imaginative ways to infuse both digital and print resources across the curriculum
• Collaborate effectively with faculty, administration, and students
• Be creative and flexible
• Foster a sense of community
• Have a passion for encouraging creative endeavors
• Think “outside the box”
• Provide a collection that reflects and anticipates patrons%39 needs
• Possess strong communication skills
• Engage in continuing professional development
• Guide and coach library staff in skills, methods and best practices to better serve library users.
Education and Experience
• Must possess an ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS
• Progressive managerial experience in a library
• Proficient in teaching and using library databases
• Knowledgeable in both the current and future trends and practices in libraries
• Experience with and love for adolescents
Please email a CV and cover letter to Sarah Cooper, Dean of Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Flintridge Preparatory School is a coed day school with 500 students in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, just north of Los Angeles. The campus features state-of-the-art labs, classrooms, and performing arts spaces, with a two-story library, inviting patios, fields, gym and pool. We’re often described as a community that takes the form of a school, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds and perspectives who will make our community even stronger.