Effective Date: 2017-2018 Academic year November, 2017 – June 14, 2018
Effective immediately, The International School in downtown Portland is in the immediate process of interviewing and hiring a full-time English Teacher to start in January, 2018 to work with all grades K-5.
The International School is a warm, multicultural environment where students from Pre-K through 5th grade are immersed in Spanish, Japanese or Chinese language and culture, but we also develop students’ reading and writing skills in English by providing an hour-long English Language Arts block daily.
We are seeking an experienced teacher who has a strong background in developing and enhancing early literacy skills. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and knowledgeable meeting the needs of diverse learners, as well as, able to coach peers on intervention strategies regarding early literacy. The English team works collaboratively in grade-level teams, so a candidate needs to be committed to being a collaborative team player who can work together with students, colleagues, administrators, and the TIS parents/community.
We are looking for candidates who are passionate about and committed to the mission and vision of The International School and able to demonstrate the values and traits of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (PYP) and Learner Profile while teaching and working.
The International School is committed to small class sizes of 19 students or less; our average class size is 14 students. We offer an engaged school community with supportive and interactive parents, where our multicultural environment is appreciated and celebrated. We offer professional development opportunities for teachers and are committed to supporting teachers’ growth with trainings and workshops.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Early Elementary Teaching/Education or equivalent experience
• At least 2 years of professional teaching experience
• Expertise in teaching early literacy skills
• Knowledge and experience developing primary curriculum or creating PYP units
• Comfortable proactively learning new technology and integrating technology into the classroom to increase learning.
• Master’s degree in Elementary Teaching/Education and/or a reading endorsement
• Previous experience working in an International Baccalaureate (IB) school, experience with Constructivist learning pedagogy or Inquiry Based-Primary Years Program (PYP) pedagogy
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Additional Salary Information: Compensation and Benefits
• Depending on experience and education
• Employer paid medical for employee only, voluntary dental insurance, Cafeteria plan with FSA, DCA and Transit account, sick time and 403(b) plan with matching
• 50% tuition discount for full time employee's qualifying children
Out of State Relocation of up to $3,000 may be considered with a minimum of one year full service agreement.
The International School provides a warm multicultural environment where children are fully immersed in Spanish, Japanese or Chinese language and culture. Children become fluent in another language, at home in other cultures, and engaged in math, science, social studies and arts.
The International School is Portland's first International Baccalaureate elementary school. It was founded in 1990 and today educates over 480 students from age 3 through 5th grade.