St. John’s Prep is an inclusive, Catholic, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School for young men in grades 6 through 12. Founded on the Xaverian values of compassion, humility, simplicity, trust and zeal, we educate students to be, do and stand for good in the world. We enroll 1,500 students from more than 60 communities.
St. John’s Prep will open a new Center for Justice and Peace in September 2018. It is one of four Centers for Mission and Research that will be established at St. John’s by 2020. There will also be a Center for Innovation and Design, the Center for Environmental Sustainability, and the Center for Global Health and Wellness.
Rooted in St. John’s mission and in the tradition of the Xaverian Brothers, the Center for Justice and Peace will engage members of the St. John’s community in work that promotes Catholic social teaching and Pope Francis’s call to “be peacemakers each day, in our life, in our families, in our cities and nations, and in the whole world.” (Urbi et Orbi Message, December 25, 2013.)
The Director of the Center for Justice and Peace is a ten-month position with an additional stipend to facilitate enrichment opportunities through summer programs on campus. Reporting to the Principal/Associate Head of School, the Director of the Center for Justice and Peace will:
• Facilitate academic research/capstone project opportunities for High School students, beginning in the 2019-2020 school year. Mentor students throughout the process of developing topics, conducting research, and presenting completed projects.
• Work with faculty and staff to integrate themes of justice and peace into the curricula across grades 6 through 12.
• Seek strategic partnerships with centers for peace and justice at institutions of higher education.
• Provide students in grades 8 through 12 with “real-world” opportunities to explore Catholic social teaching.
• Connect alumni and other members of the larger community with the academic life of St. John’s as visiting experts, speakers and/or mentors.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to collaborate with other professionals to positively impact student learning.
• Creative and innovative vision for authentic learning experiences and student engagement.
• Deep understanding of the research process and project-based learning.
• Proven ability to build external partnerships.
• Keen organizational, leadership and administrative skills.
• Five years of teaching experience preferred.
• Master’s or doctorate degree in field related to the focus of the center.
• Facility and high comfort level with digital learning tools, database programs, Microsoft Office and others.
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter, résumé, and academic transcripts, to Tracii Schaeublin at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 9, 2018.
St. John’s Preparatory School is conveniently located just 15 miles northeast of Boston in Danvers, Massachusetts. We are a Xaverian Brothers sponsored school educating nearly 1,500 young men in grades 6 through 12 from more than 70 communities throughout Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Our rigorous academic and extensive co-curricular program encourages students to develop their spiritual, int...ellectual, moral, physical, and creative potential, and inspires them to honor the diversity that enriches both our school community and the world beyond St. John's.