St. George’s School seeks a dynamic, experienced, student-centered educator to serve as Associate Head of School for Student Life. The Associate Head for Student Life will work in close partnership with the Head of School to advance the mission of St. George’s School, and to oversee the school’s day-to-day operations. They will report directly to the Head of School and will be responsible for the school in the Head’s absence. The Associate Head of School will be a key member of the school’s Leadership Team, and will work with the Head of School and other school leaders to determine the school’s vision and direction for the future.
• Serve as counsel and sounding board for the Head of School.
• Provide day-to-day leadership for students and faculty. Build strong relationships with all constituencies. This includes being visible and approachable, attending school events, and being a strong and positive presence on campus.
• Oversee and coordinate all aspects of student life on campus, including (but not limited to) student health (counseling department and health center), discipline (dean’s office), community programming, and student activities.
• With the Dean of Students, provide leadership for the residential life program, including development and evaluation of dormitory staff and student programming.
• With the Dean of Faculty, assign evening coverage in dormitories and campus gathering spaces.
• With the Director of Athletics and Dean of Afternoon Activities, provide oversight of the school’s afternoon program.
• Provide support to families of St. George’s students, serving as the primary administrative contact for parents and guardians.
• Develop and manage the school calendar.
• Update, maintain, and distribute the student handbook (The Shield), and other school policy documents as necessary.
• Teach at least one course annually.
• Participate in at least one season of afternoon activities annually.
• On a rotating basis with other administrators, participate in evening and weekend campus oversight.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
• Significant experience as a school leader, preferably in a boarding school environment.
• Deep commitment to diversity and to cultivating an inclusive and equitable school culture.
• Understanding of the benefits, challenges, and demands that exist for faculty and students within a boarding school environment.
• Demonstrated ability to interact and represent the school’s interests among various constituencies, including students, faculty, and parents.
• A commitment to stay current in the field of education, representing best practices in all aspects of the work.
• Strong interpersonal, facilitation, and communication skills.
• Experience with developing and overseeing departmental budgets.
• Willingness and ability to collaborate with a strong and high-functioning leadership team.
• A sense of humor, warmth, and a willingness to bring joy to the work.
To apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three references to Elizabeth Bickford, Dean of Faculty (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 2, 2018. St. George’s School is an equal opportunity employer.
St. George’s School blends the strong traditions of its past with a bold vision for the future: to prepare young people in a journey of joy and discovery to lead lives of constructive service to the world. Located on a 125-acre campus overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, St. George’s is home to 370 boarding and day students in grades 9 through 12. Founded in 1896 as an Episcopal boarding school by the ...Rev. John Byron Diman, the school lives firmly in the 21st century, with state-of-the-art academic and athletic facilities. A community drawn from a wide range of traditions and backgrounds in the U.S. and around the world, St. George’s extends opportunities for teachers and students to deepen their skills, find new passions and discover their best selves, whether that be in a DNA sequencing lab, in competition on the basketball court, at sea navigating by starlight, or abroad in one of our unique service-learning internships. With a faculty committed to creating a supportive and inclusive environment for intellectual, social and personal development,
St. George’s continues to fulfill its mission through enrolling a diverse, academically talented, and well-rounded student body.
We invite you to learn more about St George’s School and its history, mission, innovative curricular programs and academic offerings by visiting the school’s website at www.stgeorges.edu.