Early Childhood Teacher (3-5), Reggio Emilia-enabled
January 12, 2018
Full Time - Faculty
4 Year Degree
Working with the head of school and department head for our new early childhood center, this position will help develop and guide the academic and social-emotional growth of children generally ranging from 3 to 5 years of age. Responsibilities will include co-developing and managing the overall early childhood program and teaching a specific classroom of students in this age range. As this is a new program, this position will help develop, critique and improve the early childhood program upon its launch.
Our educational program for these young minds will be inspired by the Reggio Emilia educational philosophy. The ideal candidates will have credentials and specific experience teaching students using this approach.
For sixty years, Selwyn School has been an educational beacon in north Texas. Relocated to Argyle from its prior campus in Denton, Selwyn is restarting a pre-school program on our new campus. This new program will be housed in a new building designed for and dedicated to our youngest students.
General Education and Experience:
The ideal candidate will:
· Hold a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in early childhood education or a related field from an accredited four-year college or university.
· Have at least 3 years preschool or lower school classroom experience, ideally in an independent school. Experience in Reggio Emilia programs are a significant plus.
· Will possess or obtain, prior to the start of classes, any required permits or licensing required by government regulations to teach preschool (age 3-5) children. Existing certification in early childhood education is a plus.
· Be capable of designing lessons for preschool students and teaching these lessons.
· Have the ability to tailor an innovative, engaging educational approach to the particular needs of a class or student in keeping with the Reggio philosophy.
· When needed, help develop a class / program budget and manage expenses within this budget
· Help develop and execute school events and programs that include preschool.
· Comply with all applicable local, state and federal rules and regulations regarding teaching preschool children.
· Have unimpeachable ethics, honesty, respect for all and a deep desire to work on behalf of students and the people who serve them.
· Fulfill other duties and responsibilities as required by school leadership.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Talent and the ability to effectively develop and teach a variety of lessons to preschool (age 3-5) students and deliver these lessons both indoors and outdoors.
Learn and teach in a Reggio Emilia environment, partnering with other teachers and assistances and working effectively with department heads, the head of school and school leadership.
Serve as a leader and role model, exhibiting the character, understanding, demeanor, resilience and leadership expected of all professionals at our school.
Effectively communicate with students, families and school administration and adapt as needed to meet the needs of our students. Engage parents regularly to help improve student development.
Team productively with peers and leadership.
Work on an Apple-centric IT platform.
Comply with all staff, state and school requirements, including the Faculty and Staff Handbook. Represent Selwyn School, on and off campus, exhibiting professionalism, ethical behavior and respect. Maintain all records as required by the school and governmental licensing bureaus.
Able to lift and carry children up to 40 pounds as needed in case of emergency.
Proactively engage in self-development each year to improve effectiveness.
Other duties as assigned.
All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check and other employee screening as required. A drivers license and record in good standing is required.
Salary will be discussed with eligible candidates. Selwyn School offers health and dental benefits and school holidays.
Additional Salary Information: Salary based on experience.
The Selwyn School is nestled on a 10-acre campus in Argyle, just outside of the bustling city of Denton, the University of North Texas and Texas Woman's University. Selwyn's campus offers students a relaxed Texas-rustic feel in which to learn and grow. The 10-acre wooded campus provides Selwyn students an opportunity to study life, earth and physical sciences in a hands-on environment both in an...d out of the classroom. For more information visit our website at https://selwynschool.org.
Email resumes to email@example.com.