7th Grade Social Studies Teacher 2018/2019 School Year
The Pegasus School
February 13, 2018
Huntington Beach, California
Full Time - Faculty
To view the job positing and to apply via the online employment application, please visit the employment page of our website at https://www.thepegasusschool.org/page/about/employment
Job Purpose: The basic purpose of this job is to teach social studies (US History, US Government, Economics, World Geography, World History, etc) to students in an effort to promote physical, mental and social development.
Examples of Essential Functions:
1. Develop expansive curriculum that includes, but is not limited to history, geography, civics, political science, humanities and current events, which promote the development of social, emotional, cognitive and academic skills.
2. Develops student knowledge relating to the purpose, structure and operation of the US government, economic system and rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
3. Develops knowledge of foreign political and economic systems and their influence on education, freedom, religions and living standards of those countries.
4. Utilize magazines, newspapers, books, television programs, visual aids and open discussion when teaching history to students.
5. Observe and evaluate student’s work and progress; make suggestions as necessary.
6. Instruct students both individually and in group, adapting teaching methods to meet students varying needs and interests.
7. Prepare, administer and grade classwork and homework in order to evaluate student’s progress.
8. Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, guest speakers and other activities to promote learning.
9. Meet with parents/guardians to discuss children’s progress and resolve any ongoing issues.
10. Establish and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order.
11. Prepare students for various competitions/tournaments including but not limited to National History Day, and National Geographic Bee.
12. Perform other Middle School duties, including chaperoning field trips (including 2 one week-long outdoor education trip) and dances, serving as an advisor, teaching electives, performing duties (such as carpool), and attending meetings.
13. At all times maintain appropriate boundaries between student and adult.
14. Convey a positive image of The Pegasus School at all times when working with students, parents, employees and the public.
Required – Employee should have a Bachelor’s degree, possess Multiple Subject teaching credential/Single Subject credential and minimum of three years of classroom experience.
Desirable – Master’s degree in the area of history, political science, education or the like; five or more years of middle school or upper elementary classroom instruction and experience.