Part-time (75% FTE) Middle and Upper Learning Band Teacher
The Galloway School
February 14, 2018
30000.00 - 60000.00
Part Time - Faculty
We are seeking a creative, energetic musician who is eager to apply her/his/their strengths to a dynamic instrumental music program for students in grades 5 - 12. The ideal candidate is an expert performer on brass or woodwind instruments with experience teaching all traditional band instruments, including percussion. The successful candidate will join an experienced, passionate 5-member music team in creating a variety of unique musical opportunities that draw on both their own and their student’s musical interests. The team member will be a skilled recruiter and motivator of students, a flexible and creative problem solver and an eager collaborator.
· Work with students in developing their ability to play brass, woodwind, and percussion instruments at varied levels of expertise, grade levels, and experience.
· Work with the music team in developing a differentiated and globally integrated curriculum, which includes project-based, student initiative driven units and incorporates hands on learning.
· Inspire and stimulate a learning environment that allows the school community, students and faculty to respond to change in a healthy, proactive, forward-looking way.
· Assign related coursework and track student performance; evaluate programs and student progress (conferences, written evaluation, and frequent written correspondence are key factors).
· Demonstrate an attitude of flexibility with regard to curriculum decisions in order to meet the instructional needs.
· Instruct and encourage individual students; establish goals for individualized students and small groups.
· Collaborate with colleagues and seek feedback in the spirit of continuous improvement.
· Reflect on instructional practices to meet individual professional development goals.
· Assume personal responsibility for student achievement.
· Actively participate in professional development, grade level, and department meetings as called upon.
· Manage classes and ensure engagement and discipline.
· Communicate with parents or other interested parties.
· Organize, order and update libraries and inventories of instruments, music and supplies for all educational and performance groups.
· Manage copyright compliance and related recording compliance for all class related activities
· Complete minor instrument repair on all band instruments and help facilitate the repair of school instruments as needed with outside vendors.
BA required, MA preferred
Has solid experience teaching band/music in an educational setting
Has worked with a wide range of skill levels, including beginners on all wind and percussion instruments.
Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the area of vocal music
Has worked in a variety of musical styles including concert, jazz, rock, world
Has experience composing and arranging for student groups
Has integrated technology, including but not limited to recording technology into their programs
Has experience leading performances in a variety of environments on and off campus
· Ability to work with a wide range of abilities.
· Demonstrates a comfort with integrating technology into instruction.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Excellent oral and written communication and presentational skills.
· Demonstrated capability to interface and maintain effective relationships with students, parents, administration and staff
· Ability to facilitate cooperative learning environment, including managing multiple small groups simultaneously
· Ability to collaborate with other faculty members in the arts and across content areas
· Must possess a growth mindset
General office and classroom conditions
Sitting, standing, bending and lifting up to 20 pounds as needed
Additional Salary Information: Salary is negotiated based on experience and degree earned