AltSchool is reimagining K-8 education from the ground up. Our world-class team of educators, operators, and technologists is working together to build a network of micro-schools that offers a transformatively better school experience. We’re dedicated to creating and providing a child-centered, personalized education that leverages local experiential learning. AltSchool’s mission is to enable all children to reach their full potential, preparing students for the world in 2030 and beyond. AltSchool is a public benefit corporation and a Certified B Corporation, which means that we must meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
The Education team is at the forefront of pioneering the AltSchool model. Our educators are the experts in our students’ learning, and they direct the personalization of what, where, when, and how they learn. AltSchool educators customize their own classroom’s curriculum, emphasizing both academic rigor and social emotional learning. Educators are also part of a network of professionals who provide regular support, feedback, and opportunities for collaboration. Building a 21st century Education team translates to the opportunity for year-round work, flexible time-off and modern technology to enhance and empower teaching and learning. We also rely on our educators’ critical input on the direction and development of AltSchool’s proprietary technology products.
This role is based at our East Village site, located at 1 Ave B, where we serve students in grades PreK-4.
- Lead an on-site team of educators to build a local AltSchool microschool by establishing site-specific culture, schedules, processes, and procedures, where educators on the team will:
- Design or customize experiential, project-based learning arcs for the class to create activities that are relevant and real-world
- Curate individual learning experiences based on each student’s abilities, needs, and learning approach to construct and exhibit core competencies
- Utilize dynamic instructional grouping to meet the needs of all learners
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning goals and ensure that they’re met
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant and real
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Collect and use data to collaboratively identify goals, assess organizational effectiveness, and promote organizational learning alongside educators
- Support educators to optimize and evolve their students’ whole child, personalized learning experience throughout the year by enhancing team members’ instructional capacity and promoting robust and meaningful implementation of curricula and assessment programs
- Nurture the professional growth of school team members both as individuals and as a professionally normed whole group
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to the network, including sharing curriculum, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Develop an inclusive and equitable school climate characterized by supportive relationships and a personalized culture of care
- Build and maintain positive, transparent partnerships with the school’s families by engaging with the community
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to devise, participate in, and provide feedback on pilot experiments related to class design, pedagogical approach, scheduling, classroom tools and more
- Leverage financial resources to build a strong culture of achievement by strategically managing a school-wide budget
- Externally represent AltSchool to prospective families and the press in order to continually enhance the school community
- Hold ultimate responsibility for the site’s experience, success, and operational performance