Fordham Preparatory School
Position Announcement: Alumni Engagement Manager
Founded in 1841, Fordham Prep is a Catholic Jesuit college preparatory school for young men located on the Rose
Hill Bronx campus of Fordham University in New York City. With approximately 1000 students enrolled in grades 9-12, Fordham Prep draws young men of diverse backgrounds from throughout the boroughs of New York City and its surrounding suburbs. Fordham Prep’s mission is to inspire young men to reflect, to question, to learn, to pray, to love, to serve and to lead. Its challenging curriculum and pursuit of human and academic excellence are based on a foundation of Catholic faith and principles. The school seeks to be one community drawn from a broad spectrum of ethnic, racial, geographic and socio-economic backgrounds. We strive to include qualified students of limited financial resources by providing substantial financial assistance. Our faculty and staff dedicate themselves to a caring and dynamic interaction with students both inside and outside the classroom, a characteristic of Jesuit education for over 450 years. Fordham Prep educates its students to be men for others: spiritually motivated, intellectually accomplished and committed to promoting justice.
Fordham Prep’s Alumni number more than 11,300 and excel in varied professional fields, many have assumed leadership positions in the arts, commerce, law, medicine, government and military service, education, non-profit organizations and ministry throughout the world. While there are Prep Alumni throughout the United States and the world, the majority live in the greater NYC metro-area, giving the Prep great opportunities for engagement. Benefactors of Fordham Prep ensure the success of the mission. On an annual basis, Fordham Prep enjoys approximately $6 million in charitable support from over 2700 donors. Gifts are used to support financial aid scholarships for tuition for families of demonstrated need who could otherwise not afford a Catholic Jesuit secondary education, as well as for school operations and major capital projects to allow the school to pursue excellence and continuous improvement in all areas.
Fordham Prep seeks a dynamic professional to serve as Alumni Engagement Manager (AEM). The position reports directly to the Vice President for Engagement, Development & Communications (EDC) and the Director of Development and Engagement. The incumbent will work with the VP, Director and EDC office to create an innovative and sustained engagement program for Fordham Prep that fosters lifelong connections and is mindful of fundraising goals for the Prep. This will include, but not be limited by, conceptualizing, planning and executing a strategic and coordinated program to identify and create opportunities to advance the Prep through events, communications, volunteer opportunities, social media and fund raising - all focused on shaping a sustainable tradition of generosity and support to the Prep.
The AEM will manage and collaborate with staff to ensure that alumni, parents, students and prospects are fully engaged in the Prep's current and future initiatives, campaign/development strategies and goals. The AEM will be the day-to-day manager of the engagement effort and ensure that all aspects of events and associated communications are implemented strategically and that goals are met while always mindful of the greater engagement process for Fordham Prep. The engagement process at Fordham Prep includes building and maintaining relationships with the community and the incumbent will work to strengthen the bonds specifically with alumni, parents, students and prospects.
The primary responsibilities of the AEM include but are not limited to the following:
- Embracing and articulating the mission and values of Fordham Prep to all constituents, with a special responsibility to the alumni community;
- Streamlining the event areas of Fordham Prep into a comprehensive program that seeks to engage alumni, parents, students, donors and friends in order to engage their interests and align them with the Prep’s mission and on-going activities and events;
- Re-connect alumni, parents and students to the Prep through their participation in Reunion and class activities; through Affinity Partnerships (Gridiron, 6th Ram, Mothers’ & Fathers’ clubs, etc) and through a more cohesive, collaborative presentation of Prep interests at these activities; and engage alumni in a higher level of volunteerism in alumni activities;
- Work with Development to create a strong reunion giving and class giving program, and ensure promotion and importance of programs is communicated and a part of volunteerism;
- Develop synergies across traditional events and emerging strategies of engagement with fundraising priorities;
- In conjunction with Communications team: develops, implements and sends a coordinated communications program in support of engagement and development goals. Programs include periodic email, e-newsletters, web content and social media. Create tools and processes for tracking outreach emails;
- Draft high quality written communications and professionally responding to alumni, parents and donors with a high level of customer service. Manage major communications with alumni;
- Managing recruitment & coordination of alumni & parent volunteers; including rejuvenation of the alumni Class Rep Program to ensure leadership opportunities for alumni who support the Prep’s mission;
- Track, oversee and reconcile the engagement and events budget and managing the engagement calendar;
- Strategize, write and engage in new Stewardship opportunities for the Prep – these include the accuracy of donor reporting, scholarship reporting, acknowledgement letters and receptions;
- Engage with special programs (senior class gift, reunion, dedications, athletics, etc.) on fundraising priorities, goal setting, prospecting, solicitation, and stewardship (including acknowledgement process);
- Create and execute engagement opportunities using Prep assets;
- Staff the President, VP, Leadership Team, Board of Trustees, Faculty and key volunteers and ensuring that all are actively and effectively deployed in the engagement arena at the appropriate levels;
- Work closely with database services to ensure accuracy of data entry, event coding, gift processing, gift acknowledgment, and provide comprehensive reporting and analysis for all programs, including ROI; ?
- Promoting Fordham Prep through communications mediums as well as individual meetings and events;
- Additional responsibilities as warranted.
The ideal candidate demonstrates:
- a commitment to the principles and ideals of a Jesuit education as set in Fordham Prep’s mission statement with a close personal alignment to the mission and values of faith, scholarship and service;
- excellent written & oral communication skills to effectively articulate the values and mission of Fordham Prep;
- an ability to identify and implement best practices for the engagement process with a data-driven mindset;
- excellent interpersonal skills - a relationship builder; able to build and foster networks;
- a commitment to working as a member of a team - collegial approach to advancement; able to work across office lines to achieve common goals;
- comfort with ambiguity and able to navigate complex structures;
- 3-5 years of professional experience, with preference given those with experience in educational setting;
- prior experience running events for fast paced environments;
- a working knowledge of social media, marketing and public relations;
- advanced computer skills with proficiency in giving software (Raisers Edge), Google and Microsoft suites;
- self-motivation and creativity, task- and detail-oriented, willing to work both collaboratively & independently;
- capability of working with sensitive information with complete confidentiality;
- willingness to travel, flexible with work schedule with availability to work weekends and evenings as needed.
Review of applications and interviews will take place immediately; the position is expected to be filled in January 2017. Please send a letter stating personal interest and a comprehensive resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fordham Prep is an EOE (Equal Opportunity Employer)