Founded in 1950, The Howard School is an independent, coeducational day school currently located in Metro Atlanta. The Howard School focuses on depth of understanding through a project- and problem-based curriculum. The Howard School is a leader in professional leadership and development for the community, priding itself on its programs that address a research-based understanding about the natural variability in the ways that children learn.
The Howard School is seeking a Lower School Support Teachers.
The Howard School recognizes and celebrates learner passions and strengths, while also addressing their disabilities and weaknesses, and believes that learners are neither defined nor limited by labels. We seek an experienced educator to join an interdisciplinary team who is committed to interactive project-based learning, student self-knowledge and self-advocacy, the expressive arts, and collaboration. Ideal candidates have the attributes of flexibility, humor, collaboration, creativity, and passion for emerging research and pedagogy. They must possess the insight and skills to participate fully on a team which brings research-based expertise, depth of experience, and enthusiasm to a full and robust academic program that includes the arts, technology and athletics.
To support the Lead Teacher with work and activities inside and outside of the classroom, expanding opportunities for more individualized instruction and collaborative teaching.
- Works with students in whole groups, small groups or individually during classroom learning experiences, as directed by Lead Teacher
- Supervises and assists students during carpool, breaks and lunch periods
- Escorts and/or accompanies students to P.E., art and music classes, or other special arrangements
- Performs administrative/class related duties to support the classroom, including making copies, returning phone calls, etc.
- Prepares for classroom learning experiences by organizing appropriate materials as directed by Lead Teacher
- Escorts and/or accompanies students to the office for medical attention
- Schedules, confirms and arranges transportation for field experiences
- Accompanies students on field experiences, which may include overnight trips
- Drives school vehicle (optional but preferred)
- Monitors and/or maintains classroom guidelines, as directed by Lead Teacher
- Escorts and/or accompanies students, per procedures, during emergency situations
- Attends faculty meetings and POD meeting, as directed by Lead Teacher and/or Principals
- Leads class when teacher is absent and/or involved in collaborative planning or meetings
- Assists Lead Teacher and students with student-run conference preparation
- Assists teachers during pre-planning and on teacher work days
- Attends conferences or supervises students during conferences
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Lead Teacher and/or Principal and her/his designee
- Performs other duties as assigned
- May drive the school bus
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least one year of experience with children and/or adolescents required; experience in a classroom environment in a supporting role preferred
- Math and/or reading experience a plus.
- Basic computer skills (typing, Microsoft Word and Internet) helpful.
- Ability to work with collegial teams.
- Flexible teaching background and interest in teaching electives,
coaching and/or advising clubs is a plus
If interested in applying for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to Claudia Ramos at email@example.com. Please see our website at www.howardschool.org for a full job description.
The Howard School is an equal opportunity employer.