Milton Academy, established in 1798, is an independent coeducational national boarding and day school, serving 1,000 students in grades K-12 on a 125 acre campus eight miles south of Boston.
With the lab intensive, inquiry-based science curriculum currently offered at Milton Academy, we seek to hire a full-time laboratory technician in order to enhance the overall quality, safety and continuity of our program. The qualified technician will bring a fresh perspective into our practical program by way of his/her experience in laboratory-based program delivery, and knowledge and expertise in new and innovative practical techniques. In this way, he/she will play an integral role in the ongoing training and professional development of the Science faculty.
The primary role of the technician will be to support all laboratory-based aspects of the science curriculum by assisting in the preparation, maintenance, organization and management of resources. Ensuring the healthy, safe and secure execution of all laboratory work carried out by faculty and students will be paramount to this role.
Specifically and with respect to our program, here are the key responsibilities to working with and within the Science Department:
- Provide support in the ordering, preparation, maintenance, storage and disposal of all chemicals and equipment used in our laboratories
- Provide supervision and monitoring of practical work, ensuring each class has the equipment and chemical supply required while also ensuring enforcement of proper safety protocols
- Ensure all Open Labs are safe and properly stocked and organized for student use throughout the school day, and after school hours
- Maintain all personal safety equipment [PPE] in each classroom and in Open Labs
- Maintain integrity and safety of all equipment, including glassware, used in the laboratory, repairing and/or replacing equipment when necessary
- Provide support in the organization, set-up, disassembly and clean-up of equipment
- Assembling and administering trial runs to test efficacy of experiments and/or to provide training to faculty before such exercises are introduced to students
- Provide technical assistance to teachers, as needed
- Provide additional support for students in the laboratory, as needed
- Serve as a liaison with ATS, both in keeping up with technological resources available that would enhance the delivery of our program, but also to ensure proper maintenance and integrity of existing equipment such as our data loggers and probes - this includes preparing computers and data loggers for experiments
- Regularly engage in training and professional development to ensure the proper updating of techniques and safety protocols, including hazardous waste management strategies
- As appropriate, provide written risk assessments for practical work used
- As a member of the department, the technician will attend weekly departmental meetings
Qualified candidates will have at least three years of laboratory experience and hold a Bachelor of Science degree. An advanced degree is preferred as is experience working with students. This position is scheduled to begin in February 2017.
Interested candidates should apply online at http://www.milton.edu/about/careers-at-milton/
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural and gender balance of the School community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.