Elmwood Franklin School seeks a dynamic, experienced, and innovative educational leader to be its next Head of Upper School. Founded in 1895, EFS is a premier coeducational Prek-8th grade independent school located in the city of Buffalo, NY and one of the oldest independent schools in the country. A strong academic program is complemented by a number of extracurricular activities – including interscholastic athletics, outdoor education, drama, and character education programs.
The Head of Upper School is responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the Upper School (5-8) including curriculum, supervision of faculty, management of student issues, and parent communication. As a member of the administrative team, the Head of Upper School reports directly to the Head of School. This is a 12-month position.
- Build the master school schedule for Pre-K through 8th grade and make Upper School faculty and Specials teaching assignments
- Chair regular Upper School faculty meetings, monthly advisee review and weekly lunch meetings.
- Plan and oversee Upper School special events: Parents’ Night, all overnight Upper School programs (outdoor education, Toronto trip), graduation, etc.
- Work with Lower School Head, Director of Admissions and Learning Lab staff to develop and conduct admission testing
- Oversee and direct the Upper School Deans
- Coordinate high school placement process; advise parents and students regarding the high school choices and process
- Oversee the Upper School budget and oversight of faculty budget lines
- Work with Admissions Director and Lower School Head on retention of lower school students
- Review and oversee the standardized achievement testing in grades 3-8 (ERB & Otis Lennon tests)
- In partnership with the Head of School, responsible for hiring, supervision, and evaluation of upper school faculty
- Assign faculty duties
- Assign and oversee advisees and coordinate the student advisory program???
- Coordinate and schedule the Upper School options classes
- Develop class lists for Upper School teachers
- Supervise updates to the school’s digital curriculum maps
- Facilitate meetings with faculty to address the academic, social and emotional needs of identified students as needed
- Develop, oversee, and evaluate Upper School curriculum; recommend and implement changes
- Coordinate report card process and edit final reports to parents
- Determine, implement, and enforce academic policies
- Stay abreast of best educational practices
- Along with the Upper School Deans, oversee Upper School student discipline
- Oversee all assemblies, service and social projects, and Student Coordinating Committee events
- Coordinate parent communication, including parent-teacher conferences
- Model respect, responsibility and hard work
- Oversee High School placement process for 8th graders
- Select students for National Junior Honor Society based on established criteria
- Oversee 8th grade checking account and expenditures including all money raised and spent by class
- Attend Board meetings as indicated by the Head of School
- Serve on Board committees as needed
- Teach Refusal Skills, Substance Abuse and Puberty classes to 8th, 7th and 5th grades respectively
- Be a positive, active and visible member of the school community
- Be present and speak at community and school events as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School