SAINT MARK'S SCHOOL
DIRECTOR OF ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT
Saint Mark’s School is an independent, Episcopal coeducational day school in Altadena, CA. Founded in 1960, the School serves the needs of approximately 350 Preschool through Grade Six students from diverse ethnic, racial, religious and economic backgrounds. The School’s mission is to develop the unique intellect and character of each student in a nurturing environment committed to academic excellence, respect for diversity, responsibility, and spiritual growth.
The Director of Enrollment Management is an integral part of the school’s administrative team and is responsible for managing all facets of the admissions process in the school’s effort to attract, enroll, and retain a diverse and dynamic student population. The School is seeking a dynamic and collaborative Director of Enrollment Management to work closely with the Head of School and Senior Leadership Team to advance the mission and goals of the School and to develop a forward-thinking admissions office. This is a 12-month position, beginning on July 1, 2017. The Director of Enrollment Management reports directly to the Head of School.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the mission and standards of the school by recruiting and retaining students who will contribute to and benefit from the school’s unique culture and programmatic offerings.
- Understand the culture and climate of the school and the broader educational environment.
- Report directly to the Head of School and serve as a liaison to the board of trustees regarding admissions and enrollment.
- Manage four essential elements to ensure a competitive admissions process and the long-term health of the student body:
- admission management (the tracking of prospective students from applicant to enrollment and beyond)
- student retention
- research (analyzing data that affect enrollment)
- marketing (working with Director of Communications to promote Saint Mark’s)
- Foster high ethical standards, integrity, and respect for colleagues, alumni/ae, parents, and students throughout the admissions process.
- Be sensitive to economic, cultural, and other issues present in the enrollment of a diverse student body.
- Formulate forward-thinking and strategic application, admission, and enrollment policies.
- Communicate clearly and enthusiastically to all staff and prospective students.
- Work with Director of Advancement and Director of Communications to develop a strategic recruitment and communication plan to reach targeted audiences, including preparation and distribution of admissions publications and identifying and implementing best-practice web-based technologies.
- Coordinate and/or represent the school in all recruitment events (Kindergarten information nights, school fairs, tours, Open Houses, preschool outreach, welcome events, etc.) at Saint Mark’s and in the wider community.
- Attend meetings with local Admission Directors and represent Saint Mark’s at all other relevant meetings.
- Promote good relationships with outside institutions and groups (feeder schools, civic associations, real estate agencies, etc.) that may be helpful in attracting quality students.
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer and Business office regarding Financial Assistance.
- Work with Director of Advancement to identify potential donors –current parents, alumni and others in the broader community.
- Oversee admissions committee, maintaining an organized, confidential and ethical selection process.
- Work with the Director of Information Technology to oversee the admission portal, including processing applications; scheduling tours and screenings; collecting application and testing fees; communicating with prospective families throughout the admission process; and informing families of acceptance status (wait list, denial, acceptance).
- Prepare regular reports and maintain comprehensive statistics regarding admissions, enrollment, geographic distribution of students, attrition, trends in the local market etc.; interpret these statistics when appropriate for the school administration, faculty, and board of trustees.
- Supervise admission office staff/registrar, including overseeing record keeping, student database, confidential student and staff files, new employee forms, pre-hire requirements, and compliance with licensing, exemptions and accreditation standards.
- Serve as a collaborative member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- A bachelor’s degree; master’s degree preferred
- Five to seven years of experience in education, preferably in admissions
- Ability to think critically and creatively
- Proven success in a senior administrative role, preferably working with a board
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- The ability to work collaboratively with other school community members
- Excellent communication skills: clear, articulate, professional in speaking and writing
- Excellent computer skills including database and spreadsheets
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Works at desk and in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Turns, bends, reaches and may occasionally use a ladder.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled office environment.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: A full benefits package includes medical, dental and vision coverage and a TIAA/CREF retirement plan.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume to AdenaN@saint- marks.org. To learn more about Saint Mark’s School, visit our website at www.saint-marks.org. If you would like to see a more detailed job description, please send an email to Adena Navasartian, Assistant to the Head of School at AdenaN@saint-marks.org. Saint Mark’s School is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.