The ideal candidate for the position will:
• Be deeply committed to and passionate about the education of middle school aged children. She/he will have a clear sensitivity to the unique challenges presented by this age group and have a strong background in the research and literature related to the social and emotional growth of adolescents.
• Have a demonstrated history of developing and exploring innovative curriculum design. The candidate will support creative methods of teaching and assessment and will promote new academic and intellectual initiatives.
• Have experience evaluating faculty. She/he will set clear expectations for faculty and staff and prioritize frequent assessment of progress.
• Make communication a priority. The candidate should welcome opportunities to speak publicly, both extemporaneously and formally, and should have great facility writing to multiple constituencies.
• Understand the complexities of scheduling and have exposure to a wide-range of academic schedules.
• Immerse herself/himself in the life of the School through attendance at games, performances and events, and have a presence in the larger Bedford community.
• Appreciate the uniqueness and value of an independent school education.
• Possess a warm, collaborative, and generous spirit and have a predisposition to laughter, fun, and collegiality.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree, although a Master’s degree or higher is preferred. Rippowam Cisqua is very interested in meeting candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, especially those from groups historically underrepresented in independent schools.
To apply, candidates should submit:
• Cover letter indicating specific interest in the Head of Upper Campus position
• Current resume
• Statement of educational philosophy
• Two samples of writing that have been shared with different school constituent groups
• A list of five references (no contact will be made without candidate approval)
Candidates should send the requested documents (in PDF form) to firstname.lastname@example.org. All candidate applications will be reviewed and kept confidential until the point at which the search committee elects to interview candidates on campus. All contact with the School regarding this search should be done through the email address above. Questions should be emailed and should indicate “Candidate Question” in the subject line. Please do not contact the School via phone.