Chemistry Teacher – Upper School
Long Term Substitute Position
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in North Seattle, is currently recruiting for a full-time, temporary upper school chemistry teacher beginning in early April and continuing for approximately eight to twelve weeks.
The Chemistry Teacher position, reporting to the Upper School Science Department Head, will join a highly collaborative department that consists of 10 faculty members. Specific responsibilities for this position include:
- Teach three sections of Honors Chemistry, with the possibility of also teaching one section of Organic Chemistry (depending on the qualifications of the applicant). Class sizes: ~18 students;
- Implementation of an established, rigorous curriculum, which incorporates laboratory investigations to solidify conceptual topics, and maintains a thorough, yet fast-paced learning environment. This work will be done in collaboration with other chemistry teachers in the department;
- Grading and writing quarterly comments;
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, providing extra help, etc.), as needed;
- Attend department and faculty meetings as scheduled and appropriate;
- Possibly acting as an advisor to 10 Upper School students; and
- Active participation in the life of the school community.
Requirements and Qualifications
Successful candidates will hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or a closely related field and have experience teaching laboratory-based chemistry in a high school or college setting. Candidates should be able to teach first year chemistry at a rigorous, challenging level, and ideally organic chemistry. The successful candidate will be open to a pedagogical approach and curriculum that is student-centered. Lakeside looks for teachers that have a passion for interacting with high school level students, inside and outside of the classroom, as well as flexible individuals that thrive in a highly collaborative work environment that values innovation and creativity. Candidates must successfully complete two criminal background checks.
Compensation and Benefits
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding faculty candidates who will add to the racial, economic, cultural and gender diversity of our school community. Our long term substitute compensation rates are as follows. This position will be paid depending on the length of the actual assignment.
- Substitutes for longer-term leaves or unexpected vacancies will be compensated according to their salary step if they will be working full time for at least six consecutive weeks. Benefits for substitutes working less than .50 FTE on an annualized basis will be limited to FICA, workers’ compensation insurance, and lunch.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 851 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The School’s Mission and shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary history via the online application located on Lakeside’s website (www.lakesideschool.org). From the home page chose About US / Careers / View and Apply for Available Jobs. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Lakeside School is an equal opportunity employer seeking to diversify its workplace.