The role of the Head of Physical Education (PE) is to develop and manage a team of nine teachers and the associated Sports Activity Center facilities, to enable effective student learning via the delivery of the PYP and MYP programs of the International Baccalaureate.
Salary and Workload
The compensation for this position is commensurate with a Group Leader position in Secondary School. Teaching load: four classes with one release for coordination.
Reports to: Head Of Research and Learning Design
Department: Secondary School/Primary School
Essential Duties and Key Responsibility Areas
In the area of Instructional Leadership, The Head of PE:
- Ensures that all PE faculty demonstrate effective instructional and assessment strategies which measurably enhance student learning.
- Reviews and implements the PE curriculum across the K-10 continuum.
- Has a demonstrated track record in coaching, mentoring and holding accountable his/ her team members and direct reports.
- Is knowledgeable about learning data and its use in enhancing teacher professional growth and student learning.
- Serves as a leader in the field of PE education and is confident leading professional development workshops
In the area of Organizational Management, The Head of PE:
- Develops and meets annual goals as part of the professional growth process in support of the PE strategic plan.
- In collaboration with the Athletics Director, supports, manages, and oversees the use of resources for the PE department.
- Builds and manages the PE master schedule and budget within agreed parameters.
- Plans and leads learning focused agendas and meetings.
In the area of School Climate, The Head of PE:
- Develops and nurtures an internationally minded, balanced, academically rigorous, positive and emotionally safe school climate within the PE department.
- Collaborates with the Director of Operations and the Senior Manager of Health Services to review, develop and implement policy to ensure the physical safety of PE students and faculty.
In the area of Human Resources Leadership, The Head of PE:
- Oversees the professional development and annual appraisal of PE faculty
- Participates in the recruitment process of PE faculty
In the area of Communication and Community Relations, The Head of PE:
- Communicates and collaborates effectively to engage all stakeholders in support of the school’s PE program and services
In the area of Professionalism, The Head of PE:
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with legal, ethical, and professional standards, engages in continuous professional development, and contributes to the profession.
In the area of Student Progress, The Head of PE:
- Expects and supports results in student progress consistent with the school’s mission and school-wide goals.