Westridge School is an independent day school for college-bound girls located in Pasadena, California. Founded in 1913, the school has an enrollment of approximately 500 girls in grades 4 through 12 and has a long-standing reputation for the excellence of its academic program. Westridge is committed to educating intellectually adventurous thinkers, and courageous, compassionate leaders. Westridge is a vibrant and diverse community that is grounded in the commitment to goodness in all aspects of life and learning. Students are encouraged to learn and thrive in new ways, to try new things, and to be resilient. At Westridge, girls gain the confidence and courage to stand up and speak for the ideals of responsibility and integrity as they take their places in an ever-changing world.
Westridge is seeking an experienced Upper School History Teacher to join our team of dedicated faculty members for the 2017-18 school year. Reporting to the Director of Upper School, the Upper School History Teacher will have the confidence and expertise needed to teach Advanced Placement European History and Art History. S/he will maintain a full-time teaching load of four classes as well as serve as an advisor to groups of students. The ideal candidate will have an interest and skill in collaborating with colleagues as well as the potential and willingness to contribute beyond the classroom. The Upper School History Teacher will inspire and challenge our students through the mission of the school.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Four courses per academic semester/year.
- Preparation of course materials in collaboration with the history department, including syllabi, homework assignments, assessments, and supplementary materials.
- Administration and evaluation of class work, assignments, and assessments.
- Preparation and maintenance of student attendance records, grades, comments, and other required records.
- Planning, evaluation, and revision of curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Regular participation in professional development opportunities to maintain and grow expertise in the subject matter.
- Enthusiastic participation in the greater life of the school, particularly extracurricular activities as an advisor or spectator and chaperone.
- Interest in fostering diversity, inclusion, and social justice to promote a healthy learning environment.
- Willingness to take on other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Experience teaching Advanced Placement courses.
- Ability to teach different subjects in history and a willingness to shift subjects to accommodate the needs of the department and the school.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in the effective use of technology and integrating technological applications in the classroom.
- Collaborative and collegial.
- Diligent and well-organized.
- Possess a strong commitment to the mission and vision of Westridge School.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors as required, ability to work at heights and in confined spaces, ability to work extended periods of time both walking and/or standing.
Schedule and Salary
This is a full-time exempt position and is eligible for Westridge’s comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, medical, vision, dental, and generous retirement plan. Office hours are 7:30am-3:30pm; with flexibility to work evenings and weekends when necessary. Salary range depends on qualifications and experience.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to Jobs@Westridge.org. Include “Upper School History Teacher” in the subject line.
Westridge School is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are evaluated without consideration of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. For more information: www.Westridge.org.