Catlin Gabel School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Equal employment opportunity and treatment shall be practiced by Catlin Gabel School regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability, if the employee, with or without reasonable accommodation, is able to perform the essential functions of the position.
Position Title: Middle School Science Teacher – Eighth Grade
Department: Middle School
FTE: 1.0 (Exempt)
Reports to: Middle School Head
This position teaches middle school science (eighth grade). A Middle School teacher is typically responsible for teaching four classes, as well as working with an advisory group of students. The classes could be in one grade level or across grade levels depending on the needs of the school. We seek applicants who are interested in a dynamic relationship with their colleagues. In addition to daily formal teaching responsibilities, teachers are expected to participate in, and lead, activities that include but are not limited to extra-curricular, experiential, and community service learning across grade levels. All faculty participate in overnight retreats and trips with students throughout the year. As a progressive school, we expect all employees to embrace whole child education, inquiry-based practices, educating for democracy, and experiential learning pedagogies.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated use of a variety of teaching methods to support different learning styles, academic abilities and genders, as well as have successful experience teaching science. Candidates should find excitement in helping all students build self-confidence and understand being “scientists” as part of their identity formation through exploration and discovery. Candidates should also understand and embrace culturally competent teaching approaches to learning. The ideal candidate will have a strong science background, experience in lab work, and the ability to teach biology, physics, chemistry, and Earth science using an inquiry-based model. This teacher possesses the ability and desire to teach students who work at the regular level of academic abilities as well as those passionate about science and inquiry.
Catlin Gabel demands much from its teachers beyond their classroom responsibilities. Such demands include working with students and colleagues to enrich the school’s life outside the classroom. These demands highlight the fact that any teaching position at Catlin entails more than just working with students in a subject. Though this may be taxing at times, we feel it is both necessary and rewarding.
- Teach 8th grade science classes
- Work collaboratively with fellow staff members and administrators in curriculum design, assessment, and instruction as it pertains to specific grade levels and program applying a lens of cultural competence
- Collaborate with other middle school teachers, educators and specialist teachers to develop curriculum, plan trips, and special projects
- Work with students to help them develop curiosity, creativity, teamwork, resilience, empathy, independence, time management, and responsible decision making
- Communicate in a clear and timely fashion with parents, students and colleagues
- Have a high collegial quotient and be a committed and dedicated team player
- Regularly attend, actively listen, and contribute to meetings
- Develop, plan, and lead or co-lead a 4-day experiential learning activity with a small group of students
- Pursue professional growth opportunities, and be accountable and responsible for individual professional learning
- Actively partner to review, plan, and develop school's curriculum, horizontally and vertically
- Coordinate and implement, at the classroom level, appropriate student assessments and utilize assessment results to enhance student learning, including differentiated instruction
- Integrate the use of technology to enhance student learning
- Create an inclusive classroom environment through regular class meetings, supportive exchanges with students, and clear expectations for classroom behavior
- Actively support the school through participation in the variety of activities that make the Catlin Gabel School a vibrant community
- Cooperatively work and communicate effectively with parents in conferences and written reports in ways that meet the needs of the students and the school
- Support and follow the Faculty Handbook for Policies and Procedure and MS professional expectations
- Be a positive and contributing member of the professional community
- Contribute to all teams by working effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Act as Middle School advisor
- Serve as an active member of a grade level team, including participating on class trips
- Other duties as assigned by Middle School Head
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT AND APPLY AT: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=148