St. Paul’s Episcopal School, located across from Lake Merritt in Oakland, enrolls 365 students from diverse backgrounds, kindergarten through eighth grade. St. Paul’s provides an education that is intellectually challenging, culturally pluralistic, and morally and spiritually enriching. Caring, committed faculty members, in partnership with parents, serve as role models, mentors and guides. St. Paul’s has an academically talented and ethnically diverse student body and seeks the same in its faculty.
St. Paul’s seeks to fill the Kindergarten – Fifth Grade Spanish Teacher position for the 2017-2018 academic year with an experienced, dynamic person who:
- has attained a Bachelor’s degree (mandatory) and credential (preferred)
- has experience teaching and engaging elementary aged students in learning Spanish
- is both literate and fluent in Spanish
- is knowledgeable in TPRS, Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling (preferred)
- can develop Spanish fluency (grammar, spelling, pronunciation, vocabulary, composition) and can guide students in conversational Spanish
- can develop a cultural understanding and appreciation of Spanish speaking countries
- can create a developmentally appropriate cooperative learning environment
- can adapt curriculum to the needs of students with varying abilities
- establishes and maintains excellent classroom management
- can expose students to a multicultural perspective of universal human experience
- has excellent communication skills with both children and adults
- communicates with parents, faculty and the LS Division Director on student progress
- values collegiality with other teachers and administrators
- has a warm and energetic personality and a good sense of humor
- has experience working in an independent school setting (preferred)
The K-5 Spanish teacher will collaborate with the Lower School teaching team, which includes core teachers and group of specialists - physical education, music, librarian, and art. This teacher will part of the Spanish department with two other teachers and reports to the Director of Lower School.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and references to:
Khadija Fredericks, Director of the Lower School
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits package.
We fully and actively support equal opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.