Upper School Computer Science/Mathematics Teacher 2017-2018
Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in North Seattle, is currently recruiting for an Upper School Computer Science and Mathematics Teacher, starting late August, 2017. The Lakeside Upper School Math and Computer Science Department consists of 11 members who have deep expertise in their disciplines; are dedicated to collaborative, innovative teaching; and are inspired by working with a diverse population of high school students. The department is highly collaborative, and places particular value on innovation and creativity.
Our computer science program includes an introductory semester course, an AP level course, and a series of advanced electives. In addition, many of our math classes include units that focus on computational thinking and computer programming as a lens to explore some aspects of mathematical thinking in a more relevant, 21st century way. In addition, the department is in the midst of redesigning the curriculum to deliberately quantitative analysis skills to enhance students’ ability to understand their world and communicate effectively with real data.
The department is looking to welcome a teacher with well-established knowledge in computer science and a passion for team-based pedagogical advancement and interdisciplinary approaches.
The teacher will report to the Upper School Math/Computer Science Department Head and the Upper School Director, and will join a highly collaborative Math/Computer Science department that consists of 10 other faculty members. Essential duties will include:
- Depending on the needs of the school, teaching courses in computer science (using Python, Java, LAMP stack, Processing), 3D printing and/or math;
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answering questions, consulting on program projects and the like), as needed;
- Active collaboration and participation in the development of innovative curriculum, pedagogy, and assessment;
- Serve as an advisor for 8 to 10 Upper School students;
- Active participation in the life of the school community, which includes at least one additional out of the classroom duty, such as advising a student club, joining a standing committee, or coaching;
- Assist other teachers in the department with implementation of computer science curriculum in the math classroom.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Successful candidates will hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics or a related field and will have a passion for interacting with high school level students, in and outside of the classroom;
- An ideal candidate will have graduate, post-graduate or industry experience along with experience in or a desire to teach traditional math classes;
- At least three years of prior computer science experience (teaching experience with high school level students is preferred); be comfortable with all aspects of the software development process, the ethics and security issues surrounding computer use today; and possess the ability to connect with a broad range of learners; and
- Successful completion of two criminal background checks.
Compensation and Benefits
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding faculty candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, economic and gender diversity of our school community. We provide a competitive compensation package which includes, but is not limited to, a monthly salary, excellent health and welfare benefits, access to funds for professional development, housing down payment assistance program, and school-provided lunches. Additionally, Lakeside offers faculty and staff opportunities to participate in non-classroom teaching programs such as Global Service Learning, Summer School, coaching, etc., for extra compensation.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 851 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The School’s Mission and shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary history via the online application located on Lakeside’s website (www.lakesideschool.org). From the home page choose About Us / Careers / View and Apply for Available Jobs. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Lakeside School is an equal opportunity employer seeking to diversify its workplace.