The Orchard School
Director of Institutional Advancement
The Orchard School is a national leader in independent school education. Founded in 1922, Orchard sets high standards and achieves excellence through a program that makes learning come alive. Over ninety years ago, the genesis of Orchard came from the writings and philosophy of John Dewey and the progressive school movement of the early 1900s. From the beginning, Orchard students were involved in the learning process and guided to discover knowledge for themselves through experiential learning, extensive time spent outdoors and field trips. Originally housed in an apple, pear and peach orchard, Orchard moved to its current 50-acre campus in the mid-1950s.
The values esteemed since Orchard’s founding are as important today as in 1922. Nine decades of accomplished graduates validate Orchard’s belief in and commitment to a challenging, responsive, experiential education. Orchard faculty and staff are committed to the school’s educational philosophy and mission.
The Director of Institutional Advancement is a full-time, 12-month administrative position reporting directly to the Head of School. Responsibility includes providing synergy, vision, and coordination to the school’s marketing/communications, admissions and development departments.
- Facilitate the work and goals of the development, admissions and marketing staff to ensure the school is articulating the value proposition externally and internally with one unified voice
- Serve as staff liaison for Institutional Advancement to the Board of Trustees
- In collaboration with the leadership team, identify priorities and develop strategies for the school
- Create a culture and environment that encourages inclusiveness and teamwork
- Plan and conduct yearly staff retreat and weekly staff meetings to generate and implement clearly defined goals and objectives
- Set direction and support goals for each member of the Institutional Advancement team
- Ensure that job descriptions are clear and that annual reviews take place for the benefit of the staff and departments
- In conjunction with the offices of admission, development and marketing, supervise the management of appropriate cost center budgets
- Ensure compliance and accuracy of all record keeping
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and laws and with relevant best practice standards
- Ensure the implementation of a comprehensive long-range marketing plan, with annual review and evaluation
- Make recommendations to maximize the potential of social media
- Oversee all electronic communications and web-based outreach for The Orchard School
- Monitor the planning and production of all external school publications
- Coordinate departments to evaluate current marketing strategies to determine the most effective methods of disseminating key messages to target audiences
- Ensure that the marketing and PR initiatives support the promotional needs of the school
- Provide leadership in enrollment management, which includes admission, marketing, and recruitment and directs the process of attracting, enrolling and retaining students at the Orchard School.
- Facilitate the creation of a plan to regularly identify and focus on potential markets for admissions
- Regularly evaluate admission outreach strategy and ensure that The Orchard School is reaching its targeted demographic
- Work with the School’s CFO, HOS and Admissions Office to ensure the financial aid program and budget is being administered strategically, prudently and creatively to further the enrollment goals of the school.
- Help develop and coordinate ongoing events and services to support new families.
- Maintain and encourage relationships with feeder schools, counselors, and consultants.
- Maintain statistical and trend data related to admission and enrollment.
- Present ongoing analysis and confidential reporting on admissions trends such as diversity, enrollment, withdrawal, and financial assistance trending.
- Working in conjunction with the leadership team, set annual admission goals, in accordance with the school’s mission to promote diversity in the student body.
- In conjunction with the Admission Office, formulate an annual Admission and Enrollment Action Plans with goals and objectives.
- Work with the Development Office to develop comprehensive goals and prioritize annual and multiple-year development plans.
- In coordination with the Development Office, help create a well-defined and strategic giving plan involving capital giving, annual giving, estate planning, grant utilization.
- Assist with developing local and regional fundraising initiatives
- Support the Development Office’s annual plans for alumni and parent relations, annual fund, capital campaign, stewardship and gift planning are proceeding in a thoughtful proactive manner
- In cooperation with the Development Office, ensure the Development office successfully implements a comprehensive fund development program designed to achieve the institution’s immediate financial objectives, as well as position the institution for long-term success.
- Foster a culture of philanthropy throughout the institution, and assure institutional systems, policies, and procedures support an effective fund development program.
- In coordination with the Development Office, ensure all philanthropic and fund development activities are carried out in keeping with the institution’s values, mission, vision and plans.
This position is a newly created position. Interested and qualified candidates should apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before March 1, 2017. Please place “ADVANCEMENT” in the subject line of your email.
Orchard values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Orchard does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national origin in the administration of its admission, tuition assistance, or employment determination.
The Orchard School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States.
For more information about The Orchard School, please visit www.orchard.org.