The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine, the mother church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the seat of its bishop, is chartered as a house of prayer for all people and a unifying center of intellectual light and leadership. It serves the many diverse people of our diocese, city, nation and world through an array of liturgical, cultural and civic events; pastoral, educational and community outreach activities; and maintains the preservation of the great architectural and historic site that is its legacy.
The Director, Facilities takes ownership for the strategic leadership and tactical performance of the Cathedral’s maintenance department. The Director is responsible for creating and maintaining a safe, welcoming and professional environment. Embracing the last phrase of the last sentence in the first paragraph— “the preservation of the great architectural and historic site that is its legacy”—is key. So, too, is the ability to manage relationships with a diverse array of stakeholders: people visit the Cathedral, people worship at the Cathedral, people come to work at the Cathedral, and people reside on the Cathedral campus, and all are customers of the Facilities department.
- Interpersonal relations
- Managing finances
- Managing multiple priorities
- Customer focus
- Drive and dependability
- Analytical thinking
- Diversity awareness
- Stress tolerance and flexibility
- Delegation and directing
- Provide team leadership by ensuring cohesiveness within the department and developing strong interdepartmental relationships.
- Direct daily Close property maintenance, housekeeping and custodial operations in order to provide quality services.
- Ensure compliance with all city, state and federal regulations affecting Cathedral buildings and grounds.
- In partnership with the CFO, develop and execute a rigorous business plan and operating budget.
- Provides operational support to all departments and programs, knowing that the work of the Facilities department is key to building the capacity of client departments to serve their internal and external customers.
- Manages by providing positive and constructive feedback to the Facilities staff in order to reward, coach, correct and motivate.
- Supervises day-to-day work activities by carefully delegating authority, assigning and prioritizing activities and monitoring operating standards.
- Establishes a safe work environment for employees by performing safety audits and inspections, conducting safety-related training and maintaining on-going communication with employees.
- Reviews financial statements to ensure performance is in accordance with department and Cathedral initiatives.
- Oversee building maintenance, including cleaning, general repairs, mechanical systems, preventative maintenance and building improvements. Liaison with landscapers, volunteer gardeners and Woman’s Guild when requested. Conducts regular inspections to ensure quality.
- Safety: conducts regular inspections to ensure emergency plans, safe work habits and systems are in place and schedules and oversees inspections of mechanical and safety devices.
- Schedule and oversee service contractors, including electricians, plumbers, painters, carpenters, HVAC service, elevator service and office equipment.
- Stores hazardous materials according to local, state and federal regulations, following established policies and procedures.
- Coordinate operations support for events, includes liaison with caterers, sponsors and outside contractors where applicable.
- Purchase supplies and maintain inventories.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Drive and Dependability: Contagious optimism and commitment.
- Customer Focus: The ability and willingness to provide excellent service to external/internal customers and clients. This includes meeting customer needs, expectations and demands quickly and efficiently, remaining calm and professional when dealing with internal or external customers. We can’t overstate how important this is.
- Communication and Influence: requires verbal and written communication skills to convey information that may be somewhat complex to others who may have limited knowledge of the subject in question. Job requires basic negotiation and influence, cooperation, tact and diplomacy.
- Technical Knowledge: Full use of application of standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques in specialty areas.
- Analytical Thinking: The ability to systematically gather information from a variety of sources, analyze information, identify implications of data, draw appropriate conclusions, generate viable, alternate solutions to a problem and evaluate the consequences of choosing an alternate.
- Interpersonal Relations: The ability to develop and maintain professional, trusting, positive working relationships, with clergy, administration, staff, customers, residents and vendors.
- Diversity Awareness: The ability and willingness to be aware of, understand, respect and value the diverse cultural, ethnic, gender, age, educational, professional backgrounds and styles of others and to adapt one’s own behavior based on that understanding.
- Stress Tolerance and Flexibility: The ability to work productively and effectively in a fast paced, , demanding and, at times, stressful environment.
- Delegating and Directing: The ability and willingness to delegate authority to complete work activities, giving clear direction as to what needs to be done, and monitoring performance against a predetermined deadline and/or measure of quality to ensure quality and timely completion of assignments.
- Planning: The ability to immerse oneself in the Cathedral’s calendar so that staffing and equipment can be prepared for routine and special events.
- Team Building: The ability to motivate and guide staff to work hard by building a sense of teamwork and commitment. This includes clearly communicating and reinforcing aims and goals of the department.
Working Conditions: As this position combines in-office and onsite work, some duties may be performed in areas with moderate risk or discomfort that may require special safety precautions, such as wearing protective clothing or gear.
- Vice President, Administration/Chief Financial Officer
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least five years’ facilities management experience