Fountain Valley School is a co-ed, college-preparatory boarding/day school enrolling 230 students in grades 9-12. Founded in 1930, the School provides a rigorous, global curriculum in academics, arts, athletics and the outdoors in a diverse community to develop young adults who are courageous, open-minded, self-reliant, curious, and compassionate.
The Director of Counseling Services educates students, faculty, and parents about the challenges in healthy human development. The goal of the Director of Counseling Services is to provide education that provides all students in the school community with healthy coping and decision-making skills that will safeguard their well-being as they confront the intellectual, emotional, social, and physical challenges of adolescent growth.
The Director of Counseling Services collaborates with the Head of School, Assistant Head of School, and the Dean of Students to coordinate an appropriate response for students struggling with clinically significant mental health issues and identifies students in need of heightened care, making referrals to outside care providers, and coordinating support plans. Student cases requiring ongoing therapeutic support are referred to outside mental health care providers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and Delivers Wellness-Oriented Developmental Curriculum and Programming to
- Evaluates Students in Crisis or At-Risk
- Manages Individual Student Cases
- Provides Supportive Counseling·
- Educates Faculty, and Parents about Adolescent Development and Pathology
- Consults with Supervisors and Colleagues
- Manages Relationship with Outside Health Providers
- Fulfills Professional Duties and Obligations
FVS Core Values are open-mindedness, curiosity, courage, self-reliance, and compassion. FVS supports a culture of communication and collaboration with the intent of creating an environment of predictability and support for our students, parents, and colleagues.