DIRECTOR OF COUNSELING
The Director of Counseling plays a key role in supporting the social and emotional health of the student and faculty at Maret. The Director is the primary person to work with the School and families when a community member is experiencing emotional or mental distress, and when needed, coordinates all communication with outside mental health professionals. The Director works closely with the Lower/Middle School Wellness Teacher & Counselor to create and deliver the curriculum for our human development, SEL and and wellness education from Kindergarten through high school. The Director should possess excellent presentation, interpersonal, organizational and management skills. S\he is a member of the Student Support Team, Curriculum Committee and Student Life & Programs (SLP) which meets weekly with the Head of School, Division Directors and other key leaders, The Director is a major conduit between the community and outside therapeutic and support agencies. S/he reports directly to the Assistant Head for Student Life.
- Providing acute and short-term mental health evaluation and counseling for students and staff when needed.
- Providing consultation and programming to parents regarding child and adolescent development, substance abuse and mental health issues.
- Attending and participating in Upper School and all-school faculty meetings.
- Consulting with Division Directors on a regular basis.
- Coordinating the Human Development/Sexuality/ curriculum K-12.
- Coordinating the Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum in grades K-12.
- Organizing the Substance Abuse education for students and parents.
- Attending weekly Student Support Team (SST) meetings and Student Life and Program (SLP)
- Making referrals to mental health professionals in the community for outside therapy.
- Supporting the advising system.
Candidates should be passionate about partnering with students, faculty and parents to build a community that is equitable and inclusive. An MA, ED.D, or PhD in Psychology, Counseling or Social Work strongly preferred with a number of years of counseling experience. A solid background and experience teaching Human Development, Human Sexuality, Wellness, Mindfulness and/or developing SEL curriculum highly desired. Student advising experience also a plus.
To learn more about our community, please visit www.maret.org. Our historic campus in the heart of Washington, D.C. offers a unique setting, where students and teachers alike demonstrate a sense of energy, imagination, and entrepreneurial spirit. At Maret, everyone seeks a broader perspective – an expanded understanding of each other, our community, and the larger world.
To apply, please send cover letter/resume BY EMAIL ONLY to Susan Epps: email@example.com.