Lower/Middle School Wellness Teacher & Counselor
Maret School seeks a full-time wellness teacher & counselor with a strong background in weaving social-emotional learning (SEL) into K-8 curriculum. Strong teaching skills are a must as this person will play an integral role in helping to create, coordinate and teach school-wide wellness programming. The ideal candidate will also be an experienced counselor who will be responsible for serving the social and emotional needs of students in both the Lower and Middle school divisions.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Developing, leading and teaching the Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) and Wellness curriculum in Lower and Middle School.
Creating programs that educate students, faculty and parents about mindfulness, mental health and wellness. This includes developing presentations and workshops for our parent body.
- Teaching Middle School Human Development classes about sexuality, diversity, mental health and wellness and continually refining curriculum to meet the needs of students.
- Consulting with classroom teachers regarding social, emotional and behavioral needs of the students. Consultations may include direct observations of students and/or the development and implementation of individualized behavior plans for students who need them.
- Providing consultation to Lower and Middle school parents regarding the social-emotional needs of their child(ren). This includes making referrals to outside therapy for the student or family and having on-going communication with outside therapists when needed.
- Participating in case consultations with a cross-disciplinary team at weekly Student Support Team meetings
- Meeting with students who are in acute distress and providing urgent care or short term counseling as needed.
- Proactively offering consultation and assistance to faculty, Middle School Grade Deans and Division Directors regarding Lower and Middle school students’ social and emotional concerns.
- Developing relationships with students, faculty and parents through community interactions.
- Staying attuned to the diversity of our students and demonstrating cultural competency in the classroom and by serving families from different backgrounds.
The Lower/Middle School Wellness Teacher & Counselor works closely with the Director of Counseling and Directors of Lower and Middle School and reports to the Assistant Head for Student Life. A Masters in Psychology, Counseling or Social Work strongly prefered along with a number of years working in a school setting.
To learn more about our community, please visit www.maret.org. Our historic campus in the heart of Washington, D.C. offers a unique setting, where students and teachers alike demonstrate a sense of energy, imagination, and entrepreneurial spirit. At Maret, everyone seeks a broader perspective – an expanded understanding of each other, our community, and the larger world. To apply, please send cover letter/resume BY EMAIL ONLY to Susan Epps, Assistant Head of School, at: email@example.com.