ATHLETIC DIRECTOR- July 1, 2017 Start Date
Ranney School is a leading, independent college preparatory co-educational day school for beginners (age 3) to Grade 12, located on a beautiful campus in Tinton Falls, Monmouth County, New Jersey. The school’s mission of academic excellence and character education fosters student achievement, leadership and service.
The Athletic Director advances mission through sport, physical and health development for students in all divisions (Lower, Middle, Upper) on campus, from Beginners (age 3)–12th grade. As such, the Athletic Director will work to develop the educational program to support the growth and development of Ranney students to ensure the program is aligned strategically in developing student athletes for competitive readiness in the Middle and Upper School divisions, while also fostering competitive readiness and opportunities for competition in the Lower School. The Athletic Director develops coaching standards and supervises coaches in meeting the standards, supports hiring of coaches and faculty who can coach, develops a training and condition program for student athletes, oversees facilities and fields and the maintenance of those facilities, and also leads and models the highest level of school pride to rally support from the school community and local community for our Panther teams. The Athletic Director reports to the Assistant Head of School. The Athletic Director works with the Division Heads, the Communications Department, the Director of Operations and the CFO to advance the department’s goals, strategic goals and school mission.
The successful candidate will hold a graduate degree in education, leadership, sports management, physical education or a similar field. The successful candidate will also have at least three–five years of experience in athletic leadership, ideally in an independent school and a substantial record of successful coaching experience.
- To lead the Athletic Department through a strategic planning process to advance the school’s mission and scholar-athlete profile in all aspects of school/student life.
- In keeping aligned with the strategic plan for the Athletic Department, develop and publish an annual set of goals and benchmarks for school-wide faculty, team coaches, marketing, development and admissions to ensure that we are measuring success of the program, our athletes and coaches while also working to advance the school’s competitive reputation in the community.
- To lead efforts of skill development in preparation for participation in athletics and sport.
- To develop a Lower School athletic program that encourages intramural and interscholastic participation in the school community and local community.
- To work with the athletic trainers and health office on campus to ensure that proper care and prevention measures are in place to protect athletes.
- To lead by activity and example.
- To develop, organize, supervise and evaluate the entire program of intramural and interscholastic athletics for the entire school.
- To establish a set of coaching standards that unifies the role of coaches at Ranney and fulfills the school’s mission through the development of the scholar-athlete and sport.
- To supervise, train, develop and be committed to ensure that all coaches are performing their duties at the very highest level of professionalism and working to model the standards of coaching at Ranney School.
- To oversee athletic facilities and work with the Director of Operations and CFO in the maintenance, planning, and rental opportunities for athletics.
- To ensure that all coaching positions are filled with competent coaches who are properly trained in all organizational and philosophical aspects of the athletic program. In this connection, he or she will participate with the Head of School and the administrative team in employment decisions and faculty assignments.
- To ensure the proper maintenance and security of all athletic equipment and athletic facilities, fields and courts, working in coordination with the Operations Director.
- To organize (and submit to the Director of Marketing) regular information on the various programs for public recognition of athletic achievements.
- To prepare, submit and administer a budget each year to fund the athletic programs of the school.
- To provide the scheduling of all athletic contests, arrange for athletic transportation and hire all game officials.
- To work with the college counseling office in support of student athletes who aspire to post-secondary athletic careers.
- To work with the admission office in the identification of scholar athletes who fit the mission and profile of the school.
- To represent the school at various state, regional and national athletic associations.
- To maintain records of team and individual athletic accomplishments and submit copies of same to the Development Office for historical purposes.
- To lead the way for coaches to develop seasonal goals for athletes based on documentation, statistics and records.
- To maintain and revise the coaches’ manual each year and set up appropriate meetings with the coaches to review the information and standards in detail through the coaches’ review process.
- To help organize and coordinate, with the principals of the three school divisions, the off-campus athletic programs.
- To oversee the distribution, collection, cleaning, repair and storage of all athletic uniforms and equipment.
- To ensure the health and safety of all students in the athletic program, and to be responsible for it.
- To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- To support the school and its leadership.