All employees and volunteers at Park Street School are work together to fulfill the Park Street School Mission Statement. The thoughts reflected in this description provide structure to the responsibilities and accountabilities for this position. However, Park Street School expects to employ professionals who will work beyond job descriptions, creating both a fulfilling career environment and very successful outcomes for our students.
Values we hold high are: trustworthiness, honesty, diligence, open communication, fairness, and
politeness, and we expect to see them evidenced in our staff, parents, and students.
Reports to and works with the classroom lead teacher and is supervised by the Park Street Kids (PSK) director.
1. assisting the classroom lead teacher with the general supervision and management of the class
2. supporting the implementation of the curriculum
3. instructing and guiding children
Must have a warm and friendly personality, be sensitive to the feelings and needs of others, be able to relate well to children and work well as a team, and be willing to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with the PSK program and philosophy. Must meet the requirements of the licensing agencies and/or accreditation organizations.
Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Assist in planning and implementing the daily program and lesson plans under the direction of the Lead teacher.
- Assist in planning and preparing the learning environment, setting up centers, and preparing needed materials and supplies.
- Supervise the classroom when the Lead teacher is out of the room.
- Help with the general housekeeping tasks.
- Assist the Lead teacher in other ways as requested.
- Maintain a professional attitude and loyalty to the PSK at all times.
- Attend all staff meetings and recommended training programs and conferences.
- Participate in professional organizations that work for the improvement of early childhood education.
- Assist Lead teacher with implementation of appropriate early childhood education experiences.
- Help Lead teacher to supervise and promote activities designed to enhance the healthy emotional, social, intellectual, and physical development of children enrolled at PSK.
- Help to maintain a neat and organized classroom.
- Help children establish good habits of personal hygiene; change diapers and assist with toilet training when applicable. Treat all children with dignity, respect and love.
- Attend parent group and PSK functions which are occasionally held in the evenings
- Supervise all activities to ensure safety at all times.
- Report to Lead teacher any problem which may occur with the children. Observe, record, and report on the behavior of individual children as assigned.
Each employee must:
- Cooperate with the administration in implementing all policies, procedures and directives governing the operation of the school
- Seek counsel of administrators and colleagues and nurture a teachable spirit
- Maintain open supportive communication with parents
- Make visitors and parents feel welcome in the classroom
- Communicate to Administrative Supervisor any educational, social, medical or developmental student concerns before expressing these concerns to parents and/or students
- Accept assigned share of responsibility for extracurricular activities
- Offer input and recommendations for addressing classroom concerns
- Attend and participate in scheduled devotions
- Supervise lunch and recess; assist with drop-off and pick-up
- Demonstrate knowledge of procedures for responding to emergencies including, but not limited to CPR, First Aid, EpiPen administration, and evacuation of the school building
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Each employee will:
- Maintain an excellent attendance record and punctuality for school, appointments, assignments and meetings
- Attend all staff meetings, school events, parent/teacher conferences, professional development days and orientations
- Pursue professional development according to the individualized Professional Development Plan and MA state regulations
- Seek to support overall school improvement
- Demonstrate the character qualities of enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility, integrity, gratitude, kindness, and self-control
- Meet every day stress with emotional stability, objectivity, and optimism
- Exercise friendliness and consideration, treating students without partiality
- Remain positive and supportive of the school, the administration and colleagues and do nothing to undermine the teamwork, collegiality, and overall morale of the school
- Maintain a professional appearance that is a role model of cleanliness, modesty and good taste
- Develop and maintain rapport with students, parents and staff to promote a positive learning environment.
- Recognize the need for good public relations and represent the school in a favorable and professional manner to its constituency and the general public
- Demonstrate an appreciation and understanding of the uniqueness of the local community
- Utilize school time as effectively as possible to fulfill classroom responsibilities and enhance the students’ learning experience