The SFC is looking for a highly organized, self-motivated individual with strong communication skills to fill the position of Middle School Assistant. She/ he needs to be well-spoken, personable, friendly, and capable socially, comfortable dealing with young students, their teachers and parents; she/ he should be the kind of person who gets satisfaction from helping others. As the position involves a lot of communication with individuals inside and outside of the school, skill and comfort both in oral and written communication is essential.
On-going assistance and support related to meetings, special events, bookkeeping, maintenance requests and coffee set-ups, handling communication from parents (via email and/or telephone) regarding student arrival and pickup from school, relaying messages from parents to students & classroom teachers as well as After School staff, maintaining student records, teacher attendance and lateness, covering classes on occasion, etc.
Specific Program Support
• Substitute Teacher Placement- Overseeing the arrival of substitute teachers, which includes communication with Security Desk, ID check-in, preparing class list/s and schedule/s for each class, explanation of the work and expectations, doing spot checks on the class.
• Emergency Substitute Teaching- Standing in when substitute teachers are late or unavailable for part of a day or attending a meeting, overseeing quiet work from plans left by the teacher.
• Student Reports- Assist with the editing and formatting of student reports. Responsible for the processing and mailing of student reports, as well as the filing and transfer of student report files to electronic archives.
• Student Records- Responsible for the maintenance of student records and distribution of school records, as well as writing cover letters to accompany school records when they are sent to other schools, noting the mailing date records were sent to schools in the student folder.
• Student Support- Assist in supporting and supervising individual and small groups of students when it is necessary for students to work outside of the classroom. Knowledge and experience working with children in this capacity is an advantage.
• Visitor Support- Greeting visitors waiting to meet with Coordinator, placing them in classrooms and taking them on tours of the facility when needed.
• Special Events- For events such as Curriculum Night, RJA Curriculum Night, and Math Night, responsible for requesting maintenance set-ups for extra chairs & tables, arranging catering or buying food, set-up and clean-up of same, updating schedules related to those events and posting electronic copies in the Virtual Back Pack and hard copies in locations around the school.
• Section Meeting Refreshments- Responsible for shopping and set-up/clean-up of refreshments for section meetings.
• Trip and Transportation- Responsible for the booking of field trips and all related functions, which includes but is not limited to extended communication with vendors regarding dates, times, and logistics, processing of credit card and check payments, collection and distribution of trip confirmations, development and maintenance of field trip calendars, coordination of trip lunches with the cafeteria, arrangement and coordination of transportation, which includes booking buses for field trips, ordering MetroCards, and distribution of subway passes.
• Technology Support- Responsible for requesting and tracking Audio-Visual support such as projection and microphones for weekly Assembly functions in the school’s Auditorium. Additionally, assist with the creation and display of presentations, such as video and slide shows of student artwork when these are shared.
• Budget- Responsible for processing all check requests for Middle School division purchases, such as field trips and program supplies, using school’s on-line check payment request system. Responsible for processing and tracking all expenses using the Middle School division credit card, which involves entry of all purchases into Excel spreadsheet, careful backup of receipts, and sharing of these records with the Business Office.
• Payroll- Responsible for tracking and approving hours for all part-time staff, substitute teachers, and support personnel using the program Dayforce/HCM.
• Lunch and Recess Coverage: Provide coverage for Middle School lunch and Recess periods, on both a fixed schedule and emergency basis when scheduling conflicts and other extenuating circumstances prevent staff members from doing their own scheduled coverage. Responsible for making determinations and facilitating communication between staff regarding use of outdoor play spaces, indoor versus outdoor recess.
• Office Supplies- Responsibility for maintaining office supplies, toner, copy paper, order forms, stationary, etc. for 3rd
• End of Year Responsibilities: Sending out end-of-the-year reports, collecting and filing paper reports in students’ permanent files, transferring files to archives, collecting student information sheets from teachers for next year, collecting keys from faculty, collection and copying of summer maintenance requests, etc.
Please upload a cover letter and resume on the job opportunities page of bankstreet.edu and email two business writing samples (no school papers or creative writing samples, please) to schoolforchildren along with a list of three references to your application.
Bank Street College of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law in its employment policies and other college administered programs. In addition, Bank Street College of Education will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Bank Street has been recognized as a leader in education, and strives to have its faculty and student body reflect the diversity of the society in which they exist. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.