Middlesex has a long history of significant financial support from alumni, parents, friends, and foundations. With a growing network of alumni steadily increasing in size and engagement, the School benefits from our constituents’ loyalty, connection, and generosity. In 2016, we successfully completed a $200+ million capital campaign; also in 2016, 91% of current parents and 48%+ of alumni participated in annual giving.
Reporting directly to the Director of Development, the Associate Director of Development for Annual Giving is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing our annual giving programs that add, on an annual basis, $3+ million in support for the School’s operations. While all members of the Development staff have responsibility for annual giving solicitations, the Associate Director oversees and manages the overall effort, including communication and publications. The Associate Director will be supported by a dedicated assistant. The Associate Director also participates in capital fundraising efforts and does a significant amount of stewardship work.
As this position is a faculty position, the ideal candidate will possess an appreciation for independent schools. Faculty duties will include student advising, clubs, and evening/weekend supervisory duties. Willingness to participate with enthusiasm in the full life of a residential community is essential, including nights, weekends and out-of-town travel as needed.
Skills and Competencies:
A bachelor’s degree is required. The ideal candidate will have five years of previous fundraising experience and possess excellent administrative, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Strong computer skills and database experience are required. In addition, the Associate Director will demonstrate the following competencies and abilities:
- Establish goals, form strategies (including schedules), and design materials for all components of the annual giving efforts, in consultation with the Director of Advancement and the Director of Development
- Supervise and provide direction to the Annual Fund Intern and the current-student Alumni Ambassadors program
- Oversee the alumni Reunion Gift Program
- Work effectively with volunteer leadership to ensure proper communication and necessary support
- Collaborate effectively with the Director of Development and the Director of Advancement to coordinate capital and annual giving programs and prospect strategies
- Coordinate phone-a-thon program
- Cultivate and solicit Annual Fund gifts and leadership gifts from all constituencies
- Work with Director of Alumni/ae Affairs to cultivate and build relationships with alumni/ae
- Assist in coordinating donor recognition events as needed
- Prepare Annual Fund reports and updates for the Board of Trustees, Annual Fund Committees, Head of School, and all development publications as required
- Prepare and produce Annual Report of Gifts including design, photography, and mailing
- Oversee gift acknowledgment procedure for Annual Fund gifts, including additional Annual Fund stewardship acknowledgment
- Coordinate proper gift recording and reporting procedures with the appropriate Business Office staff, including management of gifts of securities
- Participate in other Alumni/ae and Development programs as needed
Salary will be commensurate with experience
Please email a cover letter expressing your qualifications for the position and interest in Middlesex School to Cheryl Steele at email@example.com. Associate Director of Development Search should be the subject line and the email should contain a cover letter, current resume and three professional references as a single pdf attachment. Materials will be accepted until the position is filled.
Middlesex School is committed to cultivating and sustaining a community that embraces difference, practices inclusivity, and requires cultural respect and awareness. Middlesex School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.