Sierra Canyon School is a college preparatory, co-educational day school located on two campuses in the heart of Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley. For over 30 years, the School has been a leader in quality elementary and middle school education, and in early 2008 opened an academically rigorous upper school which today is thriving with a total of 1000 students. With a student teacher ratio averaging 15:1 and grade level sizes averaging 75 – 110, Sierra Canyon School emphasizes the core values of community and excellence in its philosophy and approach. In early 2008, grades 7 - 12 moved into a custom-built, state-of-the-art academic classroom building which enables teachers and students alike to thrive.
Sierra Canyon is seeking a dynamic, committed individual to provide leadership in the role of 7th-9th Grade Director, beginning July 1, 2017. The Director will oversee all aspects of the 7th-9th Grade program, which serves approximately 250 students and 50 dedicated faculty members.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced, passionate educator to guide a relatively-young School in the pursuit of genuine excellence for all of its programs, both in and outside of the classroom.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* With the Head of School, develops and evaluates the educational program to ensure attainment of the school's mission and outcomes.
* Develops and coordinates educational programs through meetings with staff, review of teachers' activities, and issuance of directives.
* Confers with teachers, deans, students, and parents concerning educational and behavioral issues in the school.
* Provides counsel and guidance to students and parents for academic, social/ emotional and other needs.
* Establishes and maintains relationships with high schools, community organizations, and other schools to coordinate educational services.
* Requisitions and allocates supplies, equipment, and instructional material as needed.
* Directs preparation of class schedules, cumulative records, and attendance reports.
* Walks about school building and property to monitor safety and security.
* Plans and monitors 7th – 9th grade budget.
* Plans and directs building maintenance relating to 7th – 9th grade program.
* Develops and monitors educational accommodations/ for students with unique learning needs in concert with relevant staff and school’s mission.
* Plans and monitors intake procedures, interviews, assessments, and determines appropriateness for participation in the program.
* Coordinates parent education and parent participation in the program.
* Other duties may be assigned.
*The 7th – 9th Grade Director, a member of the School's Senior Administrative Team, ensures the smooth running of the 7th – 9th Grade Program by managing the following: directs and coordinates educational, administrative, and counseling activities of the middle school and ninth grade by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.