Upper School Learning Specialist
The Upper School Learning Specialist provides supervisory and professional expertise in all areas of academic support systems. S/he coordinates and manages all campus resources utilized by students with learning differences and provides support for teachers and parents regarding students’ specific needs. The Learning Specialist is responsible for developing and supervising individual educational plans with emphasis on increasing a student’s understanding of and advocacy for his or her learning challenges. In close partnership with the Head of Upper School, the Student Services Team, the College Counseling Team, and other offices as appropriate, the Learning Specialist offers a student-centered environment that supports Maret’s academic programs. The Upper School Learning Specialist reports directly to the Head of the Upper School. A master’s degree in Learning Disabilities or Special Education and a minimum of 5 years of experience as a high school learning specialist preferred.
· Review psycho-educational assessments and generate student educational plans
· Assess students and provide/recommend appropriate remedial assistance
· Conduct departmental meetings on matters of student progress
· Maintain a current list of educational testers and provide appropriate information to families needing this service
· Coordinate, plan spaces for, and manage adult tutors on campus
· Train, supervise, and coordinate student tutors
· Teach and monitor study skills curriculum integration in grades 9-12
· Collaborate with Middle School Learning Specialist to prepare students and families for the transition to the Upper School
· Observe classes in order to appraise and support programs and instructional effectiveness
· Assist classroom teachers in selecting, locating, and securing instructional materials and developing skills and techniques for diverse learning styles
· Offer faculty workshops
· Collaborate with Admission Office concerning prospective students
· Oversee the accommodations request process for college admissions standardized testing and the administration of these tests for school-based testers
To learn more about our community, please visit www.maret.org. Our historic campus in the heart of Washington, D.C. offers a unique setting, where students and teachers alike demonstrate a sense of energy, imagination, and entrepreneurial spirit. At Maret, everyone seeks a broader perspective – an expanded understanding of each other, our community, and the larger world.
Please send cover letter and resume BY EMAIL ONLY to Susan Epps, Assistant Head of School,at: email@example.com.