DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE COUNSELING
Maret School seeks a highly experienced Director of College Counseling to support our students’ and families’ transition to post-secondary educational endeavors. The Director leads and manages the college counseling team. The office helps graduates for as long as they need help. This twelve-month position reports directly to the Head of the Upper School but works in close partnership with other administrators, including the Head of School, Assistant Head of School and the upper school Learning Specialist.
The Director is responsible for:
- Creating a warm and responsive atmosphere for all families of seniors;
- Advising students and families as they go through the college process;
- Writing letters of recommendation for students;
- Being knowledgeable about current trends in the college landscape;
- Maintaining active membership in appropriate professional organizations;
- Working collegially with other faculty to set academic policy;
- Maintaining the integrity of all academic transcripts;
- Providing appropriate college-related programming for families at different points during the Upper School;
- Acting as a member of appropriate educational committees;
- Organizing and running weekly department meetings;
- Representing the School positively to external audiences;
- Creating and maintaining appropriate resources for students and their families;
- Supervising and evaluating the other members of the college counseling team;
- Performing other tasks upon the request of the Head of School or her designates;
- Maintaining the school’s Mission & Philosophy; and
- Upholding Maret’s commitment to Equity & Inclusion.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the Director of College Counseling is expected to engage in multiple facets of student and faculty life at the school. This involves serving as an advisor to approximately 5-10 underclassmen; attending weekly faculty meetings; and other duties as needed, such as advising or sponsoring a student club or organization.
Maret is a vibrant K-12, coeducational, independent school in Northwest Washington, DC. Our mission is to ignite our students’ potential and foster their academic, artistic, and athletic talents. We develop the mind, nurture curiosity, welcome challenge, embrace joy, and build community that is equitable and inclusive. A commitment to the values of our mission is essential, as is a collaborative, congenial approach to working in a fast-paced and diverse community. Maret, recognized by many as a leader in inclusion work among independent schools, seeks an Associate Director of College Counseling who values working with students from different backgrounds. Professional development work on equity and inclusion is an expectation for all.
Maret School is a member of the College Board, the National Association for College Admission Counseling, and the Association of College Counselors in Independent Schools.
Qualifications: A minimum of 7-10 years of college counseling or college admissions experience preferred. The ideal candidate will possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and an attention to detail and deadlines, as well as familiarity with Veracross, Naviance, and other educational software. A master’s or doctorate degree in education, counseling, or a related field is preferred.To learn more about our community, please visit www.maret.org. To apply, send cover letter and resume BY EMAIL ONLY to Susan Epps, Assistant Head of School, at email@example.com.