The Green Vale School is a co-educational, independent day school (PN-8) located on a beautiful 40 acre campus on the North Shore of Long Island. Approximately 25 miles from New York City, Green Vale has served families in surrounding communities almost 100 years. While responsive to the best in current educational practices, Green Vale continues to believe in the value of a traditional liberal arts education. The School’s mission emphasizes academic excellence and keen attention is paid to the development of the whole child.
Green Vale is a caring and dynamic educational community with a committed faculty, experienced administrative team (average tenure 17 years), engaged parent body and supportive Board of Trustees. With an enrollment of 442 students, GVS offers a robust academic program combined with a strong emphasis on the arts, athletics and a hallmark commitment to character education. Financially, Green Vale has a balanced operating budget, an absence of debt, a considerable endowment and a history of generous support from its constituents.
The Director of Development is a key leader internally and externally, helping to advance the vision of the School through strategic fundraising, stewardship and community building. Working closely with parents, alumni, the Board of Trustees and as a key player on the Administrative Team, the Director of Development will be an experienced fundraising professional who will build upon Green Vale’s strong tradition of philanthropy as it enters the public phase of a historic capital campaign.
The position reports to Head of School, Jesse Dougherty Ed.D., and oversees the Advancement and Alumni Relations Coordinator.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
- Continue the development and execution of Green Vale’s capital campaign strategy, building multi-year goals, messaging, and working in conjunction with key stakeholders
- Cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of capital campaign prospects
- Plan and implement the Annual Fund program (~$1M per year)
- Support the Head of School in maintaining and advancing Green Vale’s culture of philanthropy
- Recruit and involve key institutional and volunteer leaders to motivate top donors and prospects
- Serve as an advisor on the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Develop and support fundraising events, such as the annual Gala, Fall Boutique, and others in collaboration with parent volunteers
- Work closely with the Director of Finance in (reconciling pledges, forecasting revenue)
- Expand the education of new families on finance and fundraising at GVS
- Collaborate regularly with Admissions and Communications
- Ensure strong volunteer leadership and volunteer involvement in the development, community relations and alumni programs.
Candidates should possess the following experience and skills:
- A passion for being a part of a school community
- The ability to articulate Green Vale’s mission and vision internally and externally
- A proven track record in fundraising including leadership of a comprehensive development program (5+ years of experience in the non-profit sector preferred). Familiarity with independent school culture a plus.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement a cohesive strategy for development and alumni relations.
- Proven success in soliciting and closing charitable gifts
- A collaborative administrative style
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a wide range of individuals from diverse backgrounds while maintaining strict confidentiality
- Knowledge of fundraising database management software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Integrity, energy, warmth, intelligence and a sense of humor
- Effective decision-making skills
- Willingness to engage in a hands-on manner
- Bachelor’s degree
Compensation and Benefits:
The position is a full-time, year-round position. Green Vale’s compensation packages are highly competitive, commensurate with experience, and include tuition remission for the children of faculty and staff.
Start Date: July 1st 2017
Please send cover letter, statement of purpose and resume to the attention of Jesse Dougherty, Head of School: email@example.com