The Stony Brook School is seeking an experienced and innovative educator to teach 7th-9th grade mathematics courses (Pre-Algebra and up) and elective STEM courses beginning August 2017. This is an exciting opportunity to work at one of the country’s most prestigious Christian academic institutions as a member of a talented and dedicated faculty. All candidates should have demonstrable Christian commitment and an educational philosophy that is consistent with The Stony Brook School’s mission statement.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Master’s degree in mathematics or mathematics education
- Three or more years of teaching experience
- High energy, high career ambition, and strong ability to connect with teenagers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Eagerness to serve in a faith-based learning environment that emphasizes faithful Christian scholarship and character formation
- Proficiency with technology and a desire to incorporate technology into the classroom; computer programming experience a plus
- Ability to differentiate instruction effectively in block periods
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of teachers
- Ability to interact professionally with parents and school community members
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Desire to contribute to various aspects of school life (advisor, dorm parent, coach, club sponsor)
- Maturity and stability sufficient for a demanding position
In addition to the typical teaching load of four to five sections, Stony Brook faculty members contribute to all aspects of boarding school life, including evening and weekend supervisory duties, coaching, chaperoning, proctoring study halls, and overseeing meals. The Stony Brook School particularly seeks candidates who are enthusiastic about living in a dormitory apartment and providing residential life leadership. Compensation is commensurate with experience and education and includes housing, some utilities, meals, excellent health insurance, and a retirement plan.
Interested candidates should fill out our online application form and send a resume and cover letter via email to the Academic Dean, Sean Riley, at email@example.com.