School Counselor Position
Position Description: The school counselor is responsible for providing services to students who need emotional support. The counselor works with the Director of Counseling to provide individual counseling to students, assists with referrals to consulting psychologists/psychiatrists, and coordinates care with Blair Academy’s health center. The counselor is on-call and available to address emergency mental health issues. Further responsibilities include, but are not limited to, overseeing the health curriculum and serving on the health committee; managing communication with parents, faculty and administrators; and advising support/guidance organizations. The counselor may work closely with the Dean of Academics on matters of academic support. There will be other responsibilities expected of the candidate as a faculty member in a boarding school environment, such as coaching, teaching and activities duty. The school counselor will report to the Associate Head of School and the Director of Counseling.
- Provide solution-focused counseling services and emotional support to individual students.
- Collaborate with teachers, advisors, deans and parents to develop appropriate and effective plans to meet the individual needs of students who come to our attention.
- Communicate regularly with the Associate Head of School, Director of Counseling and Director of Health Services on students of concern.
- In collaboration with the Director of Counseling and/or the student life office, facilitate crisis intervention, and coordinate referrals to consulting psychologists and local clinicians.
- Help students develop skills in the areas of personal/social growth and promote emotional resilience and mindfulness as necessary qualities for success in school and in life.
- Work with the counseling team and health committee to identify opportunities to enhance awareness around topics related to social and emotional well-being campus wide.
- Play a supporting role in managing how we respond to educational assessments that come to Blair's academic office. Read and evaluate the language in each to share specific strategies with teaching faculty.
- Assist the Dean of Academics with the development of individualized academic plans for students.
School Setting: Blair Academy is a co-educational, grade 9-postgraduate boarding school situated on 460 hilltop acres just minutes from the Delaware Water Gap and approximately one hour west of New York City. The school is 80 percent boarding, possesses exceptional facilities and faculty housing, and is committed to the continuing education of the faculty. Learn more about our campus and programs at the School’s website at www.blair.edu.
How to apply: Résumé, letter of interest, undergraduate/graduate school transcript(s), which may be unofficial, and two letters of recommendation should be forwarded to Maria Bowditch, Director of Faculty Hiring, P. O. Box 600, Blair Academy, Blairstown, N.J. 07825-0600 or by email to email@example.com. E.O.E.