Middle School Librarian and Digital Media Teacher
Part-Time (.625 FTE)
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in North Seattle, is currently recruiting for a part-time (.625 FTE) Middle School librarian and digital media teacher for the 2017-18 school year.
At Lakeside School, we are focused on developing global citizens, modelling educational excellence, and building a diverse community. If you share these same values, you should consider Lakeside as your next employer.
Our Digital and Information literacy curriculum is dynamic, innovative and lively, focused on teaching students the 21st century skills required to be informed ethical citizens of the world they will inherit.
The Middle School Librarian and Digital Media teacher reports head of the Digital and Information Literacy department and the Middle School director. Essential duties include:
- Collaborative leadership and support of the Middle School library program including supervision of students, collaboration with teachers, classroom instruction in information literacy, and primary responsibility for our Maker Space program and facilities. The library provides instruction and support for a comprehensive information literacy program; nurtures the love of reading and habits of mind of life-long learners; leads and collaborates with faculty/staff and students in research, guided inquiry, and project-based learning; and develops digital citizens who understand the responsible use of information.
- Shared responsibility for teaching Digital Life classes to 5th-8th The goal of technology education is that all students have the computer and multimedia skills needed to support their academic work and to provide a strong foundation for future technology use. These include digital literacy, digital citizenship, multi-media production, design thinking, computational thinking, and data visualization. Throughout, we focus on the ethical use of technology both in and outside the classroom.
- Active participation in the work of the department on curriculum development and pedagogy.
- Act as an adviser to a group of students.
- Participate in class meetings, outings, and service projects; and attend faculty and department/grade level meetings.
- Participate in the life of the school by coaching a sport, sponsoring a club, joining a standing committee, and the like.
Requirements and Qualifications
A successful candidate will have a Masters in Library and Information Science or a Masters in Educational Technology; have a minimum of three years’ experience as a librarian or computer science teacher, preferably to Middle School students; have a passion for interacting with middle school level students in and outside of the classroom; and thrive in a highly collaborative work environment that values innovation and creativity. A sense of humor and a pitch-in, can-do attitude are highly desirable. Candidates must be able work collaboratively to create interesting and fun content for students in grades 5-8. An ideal candidate has experience with Maker Spaces and hands-on technology and is fluent in several programming languages. Additionally, candidates must satisfactorily complete two criminal background checks.
Compensation and Benefits
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding faculty candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, economic and gender diversity of our school community. We provide a competitive compensation package which includes, but is not limited to, a monthly salary, excellent health and welfare benefits, access to funds for professional development, housing down payment assistance program, and school-provided lunches. Additionally, Lakeside offers faculty and staff opportunities to participate in non-classroom teaching programs such as Global Service Learning, Summer School, coaching, etc., for extra compensation.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 851 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The School’s Mission and shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary history via the online application located on Lakeside’s website (www.lakesideschool.org). From the home page chose About US / Careers / View and Apply for Available Jobs. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Lakeside School is an equal opportunity employer seeking to diversify its workplace.