Garrison Forest School is seeking an experienced, creative and dynamic individual for a full time position in our Middle School teaching Science commencing August 2017. The candidate will be joining a community of collegial faculty members working together to build a hands-on, relevant curriculum that delivers “knowledge that sticks”. Ideal candidates will be interested in preparing our students to live and work in a global and multicultural society. A desire to contribute to the leadership and scholarship of young women are important qualities for this position, as well as an ability to build positive, constructive relationships with students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach multiple grades in the Middle School (6th-8th)
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter with a course-load that could include some combination of Earth Science, Life Science or Physical Science
- Serve as an advisor to a group of students in one particular grade level
- Work alongside the Middle School Administrative team to build a meaningful learning experience for students
- Work alongside grade level teams to build cross-curricular connections and interdisciplinary projects
- Create a secure and stimulating environment in which students grow in both autonomy and the ability to work and interact together
- Contribute to the life of the School as a coach or faculty advisor to co-curricular activities
- Take responsibility for being a role model by maintaining an environment that fosters respect among students and colleagues
- Possess strong communication skills, a patient and thorough understanding of early adolescence and the ability to effectively collaborate with colleagues
Garrison Forest School is an independent, all-girls’ day and boarding school with a coed Preschool, located in Owings Mills, Maryland, minutes northwest of Baltimore City. Founded in 1910, the school enrolls 572 students in Preschool through 12th Grade. 76% of the faculty hold advanced degrees, and 34% of the faculty have ten or more years of service at GFS. The student teacher ratio is 7:1. Garrison Forest School has been named a “Best Places to Work” by the Baltimore Sun for the last four years. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Our extensive professional development program allows faculty and staff to tackle pressing educational challenges, enhancing our academic and co-curricular program and modeling for our students the purposeful risk-taking, collaborative and creative problem solving we expect from our students. To learn more about the school’s mission, program and strategic vision, visit our website (gfs.org).
Garrison Forest School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, religion or disability in its employment policies and other school administered programs.