Brookwood seeks a dynamic Head of Upper School (Grades 6-8, 151 students) as of July 1, 2017. The Division Head will oversee the division’s curricular and co-curricular programs, faculty supervision and mentoring, student growth and well-being, and daily operations. The position reports to the Head of School, serves as a key member of the senior leadership team, and works closely with faculty, grade level team leaders, and Department Coordinators. The Division Head will put students’ needs at the center of decision-making and will be an inspiration to a high-performing and experienced faculty. The ideal candidate will have a deep knowledge of child development, proven leadership skills, exceptional written/verbal communication and presentation skills, and an infectious sense of fun.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Articulate the vision and clear expectations for the Upper School; design and implement initiatives and activities that reflect its identity
- Supervise, support and evaluate faculty in meeting standards of excellence in teaching, advising and working with parents
- Help recruit faculty and oversee their teaching assignments; help orient new faculty and support their ongoing transition to the school
- Collaborate with Division Heads and Assistant Head of School to ensure continuity and coherence across divisions
- In partnership with the Assistant Head of School and Department Coordinators, help evaluate, develop and implement curriculum; oversee student assessment and the clear, consistent reporting of standards and methods used by teachers in measuring student progress
- Provide effective support to students and their families as necessary working with the student support resources (Learning Skills Department, Consulting Psychologist, Director of Health Services, advisors)
- Oversee student discipline based on developmentally appropriate student accountability and coaching for growth that is consistent with school policies
- Help oversee the advisory program
- Participate in the secondary school placement process
- Work closely with the Admissions Office to increase recruitment and retention and ensure a smooth, positive transition for students between divisions
- Assist with building the academic schedule and create class lists and duty rosters
- Participate in meaningful student interaction such as teaching a class, advising, coaching, supervising a student activity, etc.