Director of Advancement oversees both fundraising and communications, working with a team of two: an Associate Director of Communications and an Advancement Coordinator. Within the development function, the Director creates and oversees the internal and external fundraising and community development strategy for the school using mission-driven strategies for raising awareness and funds through individuals, foundations, corporate entities, government agencies and special events. Blue School carefully cultivates a culture of giving and gratitude through events, conversation, relationship-building, visibility, and a focus on children and families. In addition, as part of the Blue School mission and vision, we also strive to think beyond our own school community, and seek to find ways to fulfill our public purpose to develop and share our dynamically balanced approach to education. In the coming years, this position will work toward the first steps on a strategic vision with the Board and management to share its educational approaches with the broader public. Within the communications function, this position oversees all-school communication and partners with the Admissions team on marketing initiatives, including market research projects, advertising, website, and collateral pieces. The Director of Advancement is a member of the Leadership Team, reporting to the Head of School, and working collaboratively with the Executive Director of Business Development and with the Development Committee of the Board.
With the support of the team, the Director develops an annual Fundraising Plan in conjunction with the Head of School and Board, and is responsible for implementation and oversight of the plan, including the Annual Fund, the school’s gala event, as well as a capital campaign in the short term and an endowment campaign in the longer term.
Blue School is a growing school; the Director of Advancement oversees both fundraising and communication and in so doing, plays a critical role in its continued success. Specific responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with Head of School, Executive Director of Business Development, and Board Development Committee on innovative fundraising and financing strategies
- Collaborate and support the communication needs of the Admissions Department.
- Spearhead, develop, and implement a diverse and multifaceted fundraising plan, including major gifts, annual giving, events, corporate and foundation grants, and special campaigns related to capital and endowment programs
- Solicit major gifts, along with Board and Head of School, directing efforts of individuals towards these ends
- Facilitate the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Supervise the Advancement Coordinator and Associate Director of Communications
- Research, establish and cultivate relationships with foundations and corporate donors
- Develop marketing initiatives in conjunction with the Associate Director of Communications
- Oversee and facilitate the appropriate level of support and leadership for parent fundraising initiatives though the Families Association and the Parent Fundraising Committee, as well as any parent volunteer efforts
- Manage and oversee visiting educator/organization program in conjunction with the Associate Director of Communications
- Develop and cultivate key donor relationships with high net worth individuals, foundations and partners
- Maintain and develop key community relationships including with community, city, political and/or government officials
- Spearhead initiatives in collaboration with community organizations that help advance the mission
- Oversee fundraising community activities and events, such as grandparents gathering, cultivation events, Spring Fling, alumni events
- Develop and maintain a list of prospective board members
- Collaborate with Leadership Team on school-wide events, initiatives, and other school activities
- Oversee tracking, reporting and processing of contributions in concert with Finance Department and the Advancement Coordinator
- Other duties as assigned by Head of School
Exhibit the following leadership skills:
- Strategic, flexible and creative thinking
- Enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Social and emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for multiple constituents
- Open and collaborative management style
- Discretion in financial and personnel matters
Education and Experience:
- Strong background (3+ years) in fundraising and communications; community development a plus
- Knowledge of schools and educational innovation landscape a plus
- Ability to communicate with all constituencies – Board, teachers, staff, families, external donors and community, city or government officials
- Strong technology skills including Microsoft Office, Google Apps, and database management software
Blue School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please submit: an Educators’ Collaborative summary sheet (available upon request), a cover letter, resume, personal statement and list of five references with email address and telephone numbers, via email to Deirdre A. Ling, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative at: firstname.lastname@example.org.