Speech and Debate Coach/Upper School Teacher
Isidore Newman School seeks a Speech and Debate Coach for the Upper School team who is interested in directing a nationally competitive program whose focus is on Policy Debate and Lincoln Douglas Debate with additional competition in public speaking events and interpretation events.
Newman's speech and debate program has been a nationally recognized program for nearly 40 years. Newman students have won the National Tournament of Champions in Policy Debate, NSDA Nationals in Lincoln Douglas Debate, and multiple state championships in numerous forms of debate and speech. Newman also hosts a regional tournament in December that attracts students from multiple states and is a qualifying tournament to the National TOC and the NIETOC. The team receives significant support from the school community by way of release time from classes to attend tournaments, sufficient funding to cover most of the travel needs for team members, and public recognition at school assemblies and through official school communications with the public, parents, and alumni. The School is proud of its tradition of excellence, and we seek a coach who is prepared to continue that tradition.
This position requires a Bachelor's degree in a field related to at least one of our departments: Mathematics, Science, English, History, World Language, Physical Education.
This position also requires experience in competitive debate in high school national circuit Policy Debate, high school national circuit Lincoln Douglas Debate, and/or collegiate NDT-CEDA debate.
Strong candidates will possess excellent speaking, writing, and interpersonal skills; demonstrate strong collaboration and problem solving skills. Candidates must demonstrate interest in helping students experience academic and social growth; be successful in working with colleagues; be willing to contribute to school activities outside of the assigned classroom; possess strong understanding of the developmental level of the students they teach; and genuinely love to work with students and educators at the high school level.
- Administer entries and travel arrangements for local, regional, and national speech and debate competitions.
- Recruit new members for the competitive speech and debate team.
- Prepare team members for speech and debate competition in novice, junior varsity, and varsity levels during regular after-school practices.
- Organize the annual speech and debate tournament hosted in December.
- Develop and implement engaging daily lesson plans.
- Assign thoughtful homework and give students appropriate feedback on it.
- Foster a growth mindset among all students.
- Help all students recognize and develop their potential to be capable thinkers.
- Prepare unit teaching objectives that align with the department's curriculum.
- Work collaboratively with departmental colleagues whenever curriculum changes are needed.
- Provide one-on-one and small group assistance to support student learning.
- Communicate with parents and advisors as needed to support student learning.
- Write clear, detailed report card comments that help parents understand the progress of their child in our curriculum.
- Serve as advisor to a small group of students.
- Provide or recommend enrichment opportunities.
- Work with administrators and colleagues in the mentoring of high school students.
- Implement classroom and communication practices that foster the growth of ethical behavior, social skills, and excellent work habits.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.