Horace Mann School seeks an energetic and experienced professional for the position of Assistant Director of Annual Giving. S/he will work with the Director of Annual Giving to develop and support a plan for the School’s successful $5 million + annual giving program, including specific targets for increased dollars, donors and participation rates.
Horace Mann School is a coeducational, college preparatory independent day school for students from Nursery through grade 12. The School seeks to stretch the imagination, intellect and insight of its students while developing the moral characteristics that impart identity and purpose. We recognize as our core values: the Life of the Mind, Mature Behavior, Mutual Respect, a Secure and Healthful Environment, and a Balance between Individual Achievement and a Caring Community. These core values guide our decision-making and govern the implementation of our curriculum and programs across all divisions of Horace Mann School. In addition to its campuses in Manhattan and the Bronx, NY, the School also owns and maintains the John Dorr Nature Laboratory, a comprehensive outdoor education facility on 304 largely wooded acres in Washington, CT. One of the nation’s 10 largest independent day schools, as of September, 2016, the School enrolls 1,790 students representing 155 zip codes, with 40% self-identified students of color. For 2016-17, 16% of the students receive need-based Financial Aid. Twenty-two percent of School administrators, teachers and staff members identify as people of color. Over the past five years, the School has recorded a 97% annual retention rate for students and a 92% retention rate for all employees. The School’s current $100 million bricks and mortar campaign will provide the Middle and Upper Divisions with either newly constructed or renovated, state of the art science facilities by the beginning of the Fall of 2018.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and manage the Alumni Class Agent Annual Giving volunteer structure
- Identify and recruit volunteers
- Produce frequent fund tracking reports for volunteers and administrators
- Execute orientation and training program for Class Agents
- Assist with data collection and list segmentation for appeal mailings and Annual and Interim Reports of Donors
- Assist with creating direct mail, email, video, and social media fundraising strategies
- Arrange phonathons as needed
- Enhance reunion and young alumni giving efforts
- Execute and manage alumni giving challenges
- Coordinate and work with students on the Senior Class Gift
- Manage and support the HM Alumni Mobile App and text-to-give functions
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements and Preferred Qualifications:
- Reporting directly to the Director of Annual Giving, the ideal candidate must be highly motivated, well-organized and have exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills. Must also have the ability to work independently and thrive in a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of advancement experience, preferably at an educational institution.
- Strong technical skills including Microsoft Office Suite and knowledge of Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge.
- Some evening and weekend work is required.
Interested candidates should email cover letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to: