Severn School seeks a dynamic Director of Development who will provide leadership and direction to the School’s development function. The Director reports directly to the Head of School, is a member of the Executive Administration Team and leads an office of seven professionals.
Severn School, founded in 1914, is a Preschool through twelfth grade coed, day school of approximately 840 students with a mission that “challenges its students to pursue excellence in character, conduct and scholarship, to marshal the courage to lead and to develop the lasting desire to serve and achieve. We believe this is best realized in a community where adults model these qualities and where each student is known and valued”.
The Director of Development oversees all fundraising activities of the School including: capital campaign giving, annual giving, planned giving, alumni relations, special events and donor engagement and stewardship.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
• Oversee all development activities of the School including annual, capital, and planned giving, foundation support, and special events.
• Manage the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of all donors and take a lead and direct role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospects for major gift support
• Provide support, coordination and direction for the Head of School for his participation in development activities
• Lead, manage and evaluate Development Office staff members assigned to the areas of development, alumni relations, and event and volunteer coordination
• Create a program of professional development for Development staff while fostering a positive and collegial work atmosphere where collaboration and goal-setting are valued
• Create and regularly update a strategic and operational plan for all development initiatives
• Oversee the parent and alumni relations programs and participate in activities and meetings as appropriate
• Manage internal systems that adequately support each fundraising campaign
• Ensure effective and efficient use of fundraising software and databases
• Oversee the planning, scheduling, staffing and success of all special events
• Oversee successful implementation of on-campus and off-campus events throughout the year to maintain and foster relationships between the school and its alumni and donors
• Build a strong working relationship with the Head of School and Board, gaining trust and providing them with timely information, advice, and counsel related to all fundraising and alumni activities
Mission and Strategic Objectives:
• Lead the engagement and cultivation of donors and will, at times, be responsible for direct personal solicitations, including “closing the deal”
• Be an agent of change; help to educate/increase awareness around fundraising; build relationships with the community to facilitate a supportive culture
• Provide on-going guidance and direction to staff; motivate team members, delegate appropriately and ensure strong internal communication and teamwork