Head Varsity Coach and Physical Education Teacher
(1 Year Leave Replacement)
Berkeley Carroll is a Pre-K through grade 12 college preparatory school of 968 students located in the Park Slope section of New York City. Our vibrant intellectual community draws students from all over the city, admission to the school is competitive, and both our parents and students value achievement.
The Berkeley Carroll School is seeking a physical education teacher and head varsity coach in one of the following sports: soccer, basketball, softball, tennis.
This position reports to the Chair of Physical Education and to the Director of Athletics. Berkeley Carroll is looking for a versatile individual with a strong background in both physical education and competitive athletics, who is qualified to work with students from ages 5-18. Candidates should be knowledgeable about fitness training and wellness, be able to articulate a long-term strategic vision for a varsity program, and understand how fitness and athletics fits into a rigorous academic environment. Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record of strong leadership in player development, sportsmanship, integrity, and character development. In addition to a varsity athletic background, the candidate should have the ability to coach at least one other upper school sport in a supporting role. The candidate should have experience teaching physical education to young children and fluency in Spanish is preferred. A bachelor’s degree is required and a master’s degree is preferred.
Specific duties are:
- Serve as head coach of a varsity program (soccer, basketball, softball, or tennis), as well as aiding the Athletic Director in supervising, mentoring and evaluating coaching staffs for the varsity, JV and middle school programs.
- Coach one season in addition to serving as the head coach of a varsity program.
- Develop and assist in overseeing a comprehensive strength and conditioning program for a varsity sport.
- Teach up to 5 physical education classes (20 periods/week) in both the lower school and upper school divisions.
- Assist in creating, evaluating, and updating curricula as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Certifications:
- Prior teaching experience with young children
Berkeley Carroll is committed to an inclusive program and a diverse faculty and student body. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity or inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Please send resume and cover letter to Dick McGrath (email@example.com), Director of Athletics, and
Anne Gunning (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of Physical Education.