Founded in 1905, McCallie is an all boys college preparatory school, serving both boarding and day students and their families. McCallie seeks to inspire, educate, and transform boys into men who:
embody the ideals of Honor, Truth, and Duty;
embrace intellectual rigor, critical thinking, and lifelong learning;
devote themselves in service to noble causes;
pursue spiritual meaning; and
- make a positive difference in the world.
McCallie seeks a dynamic, innovative, student-centered instructor of math who could teach any level ranging from Algebra 2 through AP Calculus AB.
A comfortability with and appropriate use of current digital tools as well as significant interactive instruction and use of a project-based approach is preferred.
McCallie’s math department focuses on teaching the art of problem solving. The defined content of each course in the math progression provides a venue for practicing a certain set of skills in the problem solving process.
The hired teacher will integrate into this progression, instructing four sections of year long courses, with the expectation of class levels being between Algebra 2 and AP Calculus.
The teacher will also be involved in the school's extensive afternoon activity program, coaching a sport at a junior varsity or varsity level or involved in one of the many extracurricular activities that McCallie offers.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- passion for and experience in helping students uncover the content and skills needed to excel in problem solving;
- willingness to work cooperatively within a strong department, within course teams, and along vertical course sequences;
- ability to push student discovery and experiential learning within the structure of a content-rich math course;
- a calling to the education and formation of young men consistent with the school’s vision and a commitment to advancing the school’s mission.